Got a Slim!

Picked up a '92 56cm Slim Chance (#108S26) in Black with a Yo Eddy road fork!... Purchased it from a great guy who I plan on riding with very soon, who had gotten the bike free 11 years ago from a customer at a bike shop where he worked. Great guy, he let me have the whole bike for $550. It has a small dent on the top tube near the seat tube, and had a bit of spider rust under the paint. The bike had a decent amount of surface rust, but nothing structural and the seat tube is rock solid after going at it with a shotgun cleaning kit. This thing rides like an absolute dream. I am now planning to sell my 97 Spectrum Ti, because the Fat just rides so nicely, especially with the Yo Eddy fork. The day before yesterday I took it down steep descents, gravel roads, tow paths and some winding country roads, and the thing feels so much livelier than the Ti. It inspires SUCH confidence.

Yesterday when I stripped the frame and fork to really sand the details around the bb tube, head tube, and chainstays I realized this bike deserved to be professionally repainted, not just rattle canned on the cheap.

I drove over and met with Tom and Jeff at Spectrum Cycles, and they are going to strip and repaint it black. I toyed with the idea of Kandy Wild Cherry, and even the traveling color chromalusion after seeing his track bike with the chameleon iridescent paint job……then called him back today to say I had a change of heart and want to just go with plain old black. Due to all the winter repaints and what not, turn around time is 2-3 months. I asked Tom if he would please put an Eddy with crossbones on the top of each fork blade just like the Big One Inch. I used to have a 91 Yo in Kandy Wild Cherry, and want a little Yo Eddy on this bike.

I will post pics when it is built back up. Moral of the story…..it rides and fits me better than the Ti.

Can't wait to get it back and build it back up so I can ride the thing!

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_6062.jpg
    IMG_6062.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6063.jpg
    IMG_6063.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6065.jpg
    IMG_6065.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6066.jpg
    IMG_6066.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6067.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6068.jpg
    IMG_6068.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

colker

wonderfull... just get a proper quill stem. SEarch for Rivendell.. they have what you need.

tvcreative

happy for you, but black?

Do you drive a volvo station wagon?

Let that be the boring thing in your life...

go with color…what's an extra month? it's winter…and it sounds like this will be your main ride.

"Settemarche" on the forum suggested to me that I plate the drop outs on my slim for wheel changes. Take a look at his sweet Violet ride or his green color

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/sestofs/media/Fat Chance/Slim Chance/image-7.jpg.html

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/sestofs/media/Fat Chance/Slim Chance/DSCN1447.jpg.html

I still haven't gotten around to paint my Oriental Blue Slim….

By the way i do own a dull grey volvo wagon...

haha...I actually got a nitto quill stem from rivendell for the spectrum a few weeks ago, and will definitely keep it for the fat.

black…. yeah, kinda boring. I just can't seem to commit to any of the fades, team violet, kandy wild cherry or the chromalusions. In the end the black will bore me I'm sure.

It will take 2-3 months regardless of color….and I may wind up changing my mind again back to something with some color.

My first car was a 73 Volvo sedan. I now drive an equally boring honda element.

Last edited:

rody

As an owner of both a Volvo wagon and a Honda Element, I can dig your simple black pursuit...however, I'd throw a little pearl red in the clear so that when it hits the sun she shines with the playful nature the frame evokes.

Congrats on the new ride.

fiatjeepdriver

As an owner of both a Volvo wagon and a Honda Element, I can dig your simple black pursuit...however, I'd throw a little pearl red in the clear so that when it hits the sun she shines with the playful nature the frame evokes.

Congrats on the new ride.

I like how you think :beer: and seeing your post reminds me I need to order another luv handle soon.

Very cool bike, I've bid on a few but I haven't seen one at the right time for me.

I really like the red pearl in clear over black. I think I may do a sapphire fade AFTER ALL…but we'll see, I'll probably change my mind another 3 to 7 times.

Attachments

• 104_0459.jpg
    104_0459.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 25
Oh, that's you! I've seen that photo a million times…beautiful….I'm also thinking either one of the single colors in the sapphire fade. so either purple or blue..but I think the fade is REALLY where it's at.

RobTu

Nice. I've seen a ton of black Yo Eddys and Wickeds, but never a slim; I like it.

Still, Rody's idea is a good one; best of both worlds.

I use to own a Honda Element for five years; miss it, now that it's gone :beer:

Oh, that's you! I've seen that photo a million times…beautiful….I'm also thinking either one of the single colors in the sapphire fade. so either purple or blue..but I think the fade is REALLY where it's at.

+ the Saphire Fade really Pops in the sunlight. It's way more amazing in person than what our RGB screens can depict. Also fyi that is not me it's Chris Chance. He is holding my '97 Saphire Fade Frameset a couple days after I purchased it from ebay this past Spring. Chris Chance has also has a '97 CC roadbike but his is Ti with a Yellow Yo Eddy Road fork :)

Haha, that's awesome. Yeah I knew that was Chris Chance and not you, just meant that it was your bike! Looks great, is that a repaint?

Leslie's purple looks great too, has anyone panted a Slim in that awesome color?!

I feel like that is the same purple that's on the top end of the sapphire fade?

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's in really great shape. That 500 mile trip must have been AWESOME on the fat. I can't wait to get riding mine.. You got any high res pics I can use to send to spectrum for an accurate repaint on my slim?

tvcreative

are you talking about spectrum powder works in CO or spectrum cycles in PA? I think the PA guys have done a few sapphire fades in their day…and have the paint codes

Yeah- Spectrum Cycles, You're right, they've done a bunch of sapphire fades. Tom always likes to see pics so he doesn't have to look it up. I think his photos get buried a bit. But I'm sure he can do it...

Last edited:

chainline

Straight black sounds good to me maybe with some gold flake. I've seen so many aqua fade sapphire fade bikes that they have become boring to look at. there must be more now than origanly produced??? But this is just me,bike was black keep it black but find a way to make the black "pop" .

Straight black sounds good to me maybe with some gold flake. I've seen so many aqua fade sapphire fade bikes that they have become boring to look at. there must be more now than origanly produced??? But this is just me,bike was black keep it black but find a way to make the black "pop" .

I kind of feel the same way about wanting to re-paint it the original color.

could be nice: http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/bmx-f...uiser-frame-fork-handlebar-set/prod_1610.html