Finally a fat chance owner

fiatjeepdriver

I had joined this forum several years ago when I was going to buy a wicked frame but that deal fell through. A few days ago I purchased a 97 yo eddy on ebay, the seller had it listed for $400 shipped but since it didn't sell at that price I talked him down to $350 shipped. I'm excited but not really sure how I want to build it up, but, I'm leaning towards a 2x10 xt or xtr, white industries vbc cranks, rigid fork, with some vintage bits thrown in for good measure.

Since I don't have the frame yet here is a picture from the ad as well as some of my other bikes:

fatchanceframe_zpseeb13c94.jpg

Land Shark Pro Carbon (ultegra group)
roadie_zps13113aba.jpg

Steel Land Shark SS (It had different wheels and a white industries crank now)
SS_zps1312a223.jpg

93 GT Zaskar le (kooka rasta cranks, machine tech levers, RS duke race, and newer xt bits)
2012-04-23095043.jpg

I also have in no specific order - Jamis Satellite, Jamis Dragon, Jamis Nemesis, GT ZR-2000, Soma Double Cross, Specialized Allez (1994), Schwinn High Sierra (1987), Schwinn Spitfire frame, GT Passage frame, On One Inbred, Madwagon cruiser (bullseye hubs and magura hydo rim brakes), Trek 600 (1985), Trek 950 frame (1987), and a cheap elevated chainstay mtb frame. I also have a couple of tubesets that I need to get around to building up into a gravel bike, lugged road bike, and a hardtail mtb.

Last edited:
Nice! So glad someone here pulled the trigger on that bike. I have the same bike in a Medium/Large & absolutely love it. Mine is a 1998 in black. I was tempted to buy that one but I have a 1994 Large Yo Eddy & didn't want (or my wife didn't allow) too many of the same bikes. Since it's a later Yo Eddy it's a bit lighter weight & has the correct cable routing for V-brakes in the rear. Interesting that yours also has the standard Canti-mount bridge. My '98 doesn't.

I have mine built up with a Full M952 XTR Group except my brake calipers are the Avid Ultimate Black Edition. My front fork is a Fox Talas 80-120mm adjustable. It's a really sweet ride!

Jon

fiatjeepdriver

I have mine built up with a Full M952 XTR Group except my brake calipers are the Avid Ultimate Black Edition. My front fork is a Fox Talas 80-120mm adjustable. It's a really sweet ride!

Jon

Thanks. What travel do you usually have it set at? I'm most likely going to get a rigid fork for it. Whould it be sacrilegious to run a carbon fork (pace or similar with vbrake bosses)? I think I am going to do a quick build to make sure it fits and rides how I assume it will then save up for the parts I want to put on. Also the paint looks a little rough in the pictures so if I go for a repaint are there any go to guys? Ideally I'd have John Slawta (land shark) paint it but he only paints his bikes so I was thinking about Keith Anderson (http://www.keithandersoncycles.com/paint.html).

Thanks. What travel do you usually have it set at? I'm most likely going to get a rigid fork for it. Whould it be sacrilegious to run a carbon fork (pace or similar with vbrake bosses)? I think I am going to do a quick build to make sure it fits and rides how I assume it will then save up for the parts I want to put on. Also the paint looks a little rough in the pictures so if I go for a repaint are there any go to guys? Ideally I'd have John Slawta (land shark) paint it but he only paints his bikes so I was thinking about Keith Anderson (http://www.keithandersoncycles.com/paint.html).

Travelwise I typically run it in the middle which is around 100mm. I beleive these later framesets were designed for 80mm travel. Risse Racing I beleive has an air coversion kit for the Judy Fork which I imagine works much better than the elastomers that are in there. Running all rigid is a good idea too & the lowest maintenance. I've never seen a carbon fork on a Fat but would love to hear how it rides if you do put one on. I would build it up & ride it for a season before repaint to make sure you like the way it rides. The paint on my '98 around the chainstay is a bit rough but now I can ride it hard down the trail without worrying about more chain slap :)

dolefee

Also the paint looks a little rough in the pictures so if I go for a repaint are there any go to guys? Ideally I'd have John Slawta (land shark) paint it but he only paints his bikes so I was thinking about Keith Anderson (http://www.keithandersoncycles.com/paint.html).

In the past, I've inquired with Rody at Groovy Cycles concerning a repaint, but due to his busy schedule, he was only able to help by recommending a few others who know their -ish, Keith being one of them...

fiatjeepdriver

Travelwise I typically run it in the middle which is around 100mm. I beleive these later framesets were designed for 80mm travel. Risse Racing I beleive has an air coversion kit for the Judy Fork which I imagine works much better than the elastomers that are in there. Running all rigid is a good idea too & the lowest maintenance. I've never seen a carbon fork on a Fat but would love to hear how it rides if you do put one on. I would build it up & ride it for a season before repaint to make sure you like the way it rides. The paint on my '98 around the chainstay is a bit rough but now I can ride it hard down the trail without worrying about more chain slap :)

I am going to do a quick buildup from spare parts to make sure I it fits and I like how it rides, then I'll spend some money proper parts and a repaint if it needs it.

In the past, I've inquired with Rody at Groovy Cycles concerning a repaint, but due to his busy schedule, he was only able to help by recommending a few others who know their -ish, Keith being one of them...

I met him at the NAHBS, cool guy. Someday I'd like to order a frame from him but for now I just run his handlebars on my main bike. I'm thinking about ordering another set or two.

According to the tracking info I should have the frame sometime tomorrow. Unfortunately there are several wildfires in my part of the state and it is smokey enough I can't ride, heck I missed a couple races because of it.

fiatjeepdriver

Well the frame came in today instead of tomorrow and the paint is a lot better than I expected. There are some scuffs especially on the drive side chainstay.

DSC04843_zps85eee58e.jpg

DSC04856_zps85cccc9e.jpg

DSC04852_zps6a63626b.jpg

DSC04847_zps6e60938c.jpg

DSC04854_zpsbf27e922.jpg

DSC04857_zpsa7ec00e1.jpg

DSC04855_zpsec7ce571.jpg

DSC04860_zps5a48e04f.jpg

DSC04859_zpsc7b2b0fa.jpg

fiatjeepdriver

I think for the time being I'll use my spare gussett jury sl fork. It should look decent on there and be a couple pounds lighter than the judy sl on there.

possiblefork_zps1d11c5f8.jpg

fiatjeepdriver

Thanks. I really like them as well. I think my next new mtb is going to be another shark. John does quite a few of the local crits and TTs and he is very good about planting the idea of a new frame.

As for the yo eddy I mocked it up today while I wait for a few other parts to come in.

2013-08-14155733_zps4a271452.jpg

fiatjeepdriver

I'm not sure how much he wants for them but I had a member of another forum offer to sell me a wheelset for this. XTR from '96 (m951/952?) laced to campy kilimanjaro rims, he said he has had these since '97 and they have been sitting in his attic for several years.

Thoughts on the wheels? I'll post pictures when I get them.

fiatjeepdriver

Here is the wheelset, what do you guys think? I don't know much about the campy rims so any info would be appreciated.

image5_zpsc38961f4.jpeg

image2_zpsacd795d5.jpeg

image_zpsbd3753b4.jpeg

image4_zpsc001417e.jpeg

image3_zpsadf2a725.jpeg

image6_zps8028b201.jpeg

photo_zps55403868.jpg

image7_zps1879d7e2.jpeg

Those are all the pictures he sent me. He has had them since 97 and they have been sitting in his attic for several years. He is asking $100 plus shipping, think I should?

chefmiguel

Hubs are worth that alone. Campy rims are not the lightest but they are great reliable rims with a long life expectancy. Get them.

tvcreative

campy rims strong like bull, who cares about nominal weight

and since you are riding a big bike and I assume you are a big guy, this may be something that works well for you

the xtr hubs rock

Last edited:

fiatjeepdriver

I'm about ready to head to the LBS and get some cables, housing, a chain, grips, and see if my seat post shim came in. Here is how it sits right now:

newbuild_zpsa426139c.jpg

new skewers:
ringle_zpse9c4884d.jpg

syncros
syncros_zpsd4148539.jpg

fiatjeepdriver

Well I have it built up but haven't been able to ride it more than a block (once I get done with work today I'll have worked about 43 hours in the last 3 days). Hopefully tomorrow I can fine tune the fit and make sure it's shifting right and do an actual ride on it.

fiatjeepdriver

I finally got to take it out for a proper ride (13.5 miles on the normal group ride). These bikes handle extremely well. I didn't push it too hard on the down hills just yet but this bike loves singletrack, especially switchbacks. I ended up swapping some parts around to get a better fit but I'm definitely a happy camper right now.

Looks great! I recall talking to the guy selling the frame and thought about grabbing it from him, but I have too many other hobbies and bills for another bike. I'm glad you got it for a good price. It obviously went to a good home, which is what we all want.