Problem with my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance

fatchance

Hey Guys,
I just got to take my first ride on my newly finished Wicked and its too small. The stem for the handle bars is at its max length and the seat is pretty high. What would you guys recommend that I do? I am 5" 9 1/2 by the way.

colker

Hey Guys,
I just got to take my first ride on my newly finished Wicked and its too small. The stem for the handle bars is at its max length and the seat is pretty high. What would you guys recommend that I do? I am 5" 9 1/2 by the way.

you want a 19.5 in frame. Sell your frame and get another one.

fatchance

That would be a good idea except that I already had this frame built up by my local bike shop. I think my only realistic option would be to sell this bike complete so I can recoup the most money from it.

colker

try a longer stem w/ 10º... we ride those older bikes w/ a 3in drop from saddle to hbar. move the saddle back and enjoy. As long as the seat post is not out of the fram for more than 8in it still fits nice.. and it's a much more agile bike in technical trails.
Contemporary bikes, w/ 4in travel forks placed the bars level w/ saddles. That's not how early 90s bikes were fit. Believe me: it works. Try it.
And if it doesn't.. get a riser bar there. $40 will solve the issue.

colker

Thank you for the advise. Where would I find a longer stem like the one your talking about?

you should do well w/ a 135mm stem and a riser bar. They are easy to find on ebay. A tioga t bone, avenger or a kalloy uno. A kalloy uno 130mm/15º... you may not even need a riser bar. They are cheap on ebay.
as long as you have slightly less than 8in of seatpost showing it fits fine.

Jeeves

Not sure if they make "setback" posts in FAT sizes, but you could always ask your bike shop about a thompson setback post. It's bent backwards so you get a little more room in the cockpit. It'd make the wicked a little lighter on the front end, but I like that personally. I always felt you had to climb in a half-crouch with that geometry anyway. . .

-R

colker

Not sure if they make "setback" posts in FAT sizes, but you could always ask your bike shop about a thompson setback post. It's bent backwards so you get a little more room in the cockpit. It'd make the wicked a little lighter on the front end, but I like that personally. I always felt you had to climb in a half-crouch with that geometry anyway. . .

-R

It already has a laidback seat angle... i wouldn't. thomson does not make a 26.4 post. Uno and suntour xc posts have more setback than thomson and made 26.4 posts.

Last edited:

fatchance

The drivetrain area on my Wicked is not shifting properly and the chain slips out of gear when I push it hard. My LBS says its because of the long rear chain stay and that all bikes from this era get chain stuck. Is this true and do you guys have any fixed for these problems?

fatchance

It has 1991 shimano xt front and rear derailleurs with a HG70 7 speed cassette. The shifters are period gripshift. Both the cassette and the chain are new the rest is in good used condition.

tvcreative

there's an adjustment screw that throws the der back slightly try clockwise until it pulls more tension on the chain...

sometimes you have to add a link or subtract one to change things up on the wrap on the lowest cog