1984 24" wheeled Fat Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyNYC

Thanks for posting these old Fat Chance bikes, it would be way cooler and probably more informative if you did some investigative work to find real facts and history about the bikes.
Based on what you wrote, it sounds like a lot of guess work or just your own opinions.
Sites like MOMBAT do a really nice job of seeking out build details and history of bikes, you should check them out, they're a great resource.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Fat_Chance.html

mkozaczek

Yeah it would be... it would also be great if you took some time to maybe ask where my info came from before you state an opinion, but then what fun would that be...

*Edited for niceness

MikeyNYC

Please don't be nice, be real, say what you want and let the mods determine if you're behaving.

Also, who cares where your info came from, it seems like you popped up out of nowhere in the past year or 2 to buy up vintage mountain bikes and repaint them and resell them at a profit, you're not a true fan or collector you're an opportunist and from what it appears, not a very good one.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Yeah, no fighting! I mean, are we sure that isn't a GT?

mkozaczek, do update us once you get that drivetrain rehabilitated. Looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet!

troda

Part of the story is accurate. The bikes were bought at the same time by a cople in the Boston area. Wife got this one and the husband got a 19" Fat. Not 100% sure the 19 was a triple triangle. I didnt get that impression after talking to the son. But a decent source from back then remembers a black triple triangle bike.
The couple only rode them for a short time then hung them in the garage. The son took ownership of the black one and brought it to school with him in NYC. One of the tenants in the apt building he lived went off the deep end and burned the building. Unfortunately the black bike was in it.
Fast forward many years . The wife of the son decided she wanted to start biking. They took the 24" Fat out of the garage. She rode it a couple af times , hated it , and decided to sell it so she could buy a more comfortable bike. I went and picked it up for the new owner boxed and shipped it. After seeing it up close I think is a Fat. Custom, but still a fat.

Thanks, Tom

mkozaczek

Please don't be nice, be real, say what you want and let the mods determine if you're behaving.

Also, who cares where your info came from, it seems like you popped up out of nowhere in the past year or 2 to buy up vintage mountain bikes and repaint them and resell them at a profit, you're not a true fan or collector you're an opportunist and from what it appears, not a very good one.

One more time, check your facts before you go mouthing off...

I've got to tell everyone that this thread sickens me!

A good friend of mine has a collection of over 45 Fats!; The very first one which he bought from Martin. He & Martin became good friends & Martin did a write-up of a few of his bikes from his trip up to N Cal the other week. I have seen all of these bikes & the '85 Ti & '84 Triple Triangle 24" Wheel are amazing bikes! To see people commenting that they are GTs or not period correct parts when you know these comments are not true takes this entire website down a notch or two! I for one appreciate Martin taking the time to photograph & share these bikes & find him to be one of the most knowledgable references for vintage MT Bikes.

I talked to the owner of these bikes this morning (who some of you know) & he has no interest in every coming on to Fatcogs ever again or allowing us to feature any of his bikes after these comments.

Jon

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I've got to tell everyone that this thread sickens me!

A good friend of mine has a collection of over 45 Fats!; The very first one which he bought from Martin. He & Martin became good friends & Martin did a write-up of a few of his bikes from his trip up to N Cal the other week. I have seen all of these bikes & the '85 Ti & '84 Triple Triangle 24" Wheel are amazing bikes! To see people commenting that they are GTs or not period correct parts when you know these comments are not true takes this entire website down a notch or two! I for one appreciate Martin taking the time to photograph & share these bikes & find him to be one of the most knowledgable references for vintage MT Bikes.

I talked to the owner of these bikes this morning (who some of you know) & he has no interest in every coming on to Fatcogs ever again or allowing us to feature any of his bikes after these comments.

Jon

My bad. I should have put a ;) after the GT comment, but figured people would know I was joking. There are certainly a handful of triple-triangle early Fats circulating.

But your last little bit doesn't make sense to me. Basically you are saying that you got mad, then went and told someone who doesn't much post here anyway that he should be mad, and in fact he decided not to let anyone here ever *view* his bikes again? Yeesh. And kinda silly?

When I was a kid when my little sister had a tantrum she would walk into whatever room everyone was hanging out and cry loudly. Then she'd scream "don't look at me!" Not quite a 1-to-1 comparison, but it came to mind.

As for mkozaczek, I will agree---very nice to see the bikes! (both this, the ti, and #831) The pictures were great, the bikes are great. The write-up has a few hang ups in phrasing and accuracy, but no huge deal. Jon, I think the friction you may be picking up on is more about the link posted above this post than anything else, but being flip and overly defensive ("mouthing off"? um, sorry coach?) in response doesn't dig anyone out of a reputation earned by aggressively buying up bikes that a lot of us are interested collecting and riding, only to "restore" and flip for profit. But that's another can of worms.

The Fats owned by the older disgruntled gentleman are superb bikes. I think any of us would be happy to own them, and I am glad the link to them on mkozaczek's business website was shared here despite the resultant kerfluffle-age.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Looking that wall of text above, it occurs to me that an equally appropriate reply would have been simply "blah blah blah." My apologies to people with weary eyes.

Oh well, my fingers did the walkin'....

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The irony of you ALLCAPing about capitalism on May Day when you are actually mad about not being fully accepted in a community is not lost on me. Well played, well played.

Yeah, no fighting! I mean, are we sure that isn't a GT?

mkozaczek, do update us once you get that drivetrain rehabilitated. Looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet!

Based Upon your untrue statement afterwards about the drivetrain, I do not think that you were kidding; I think that you were trying to put Martin down because as you state later; (& I am paraphrasing) Martin is not someone you welcome on this site. I do not believe that it is your job as a moderator to put members down so long as they don't break the rules of the forum. I believe that a good moderator should remain a neutral party.

I have for years come to this site as a highlight of my day & to share knowledge & experiences on Fats. I still think that most of what goes on here is positive & I hope we can keep it this way but Michael Farkas (whom I met & thought highly of) clearly has it out for Martin & has shown as much in the 2 write-ups of Greg's bikes & frankly I am disapointed. Greg is too. When the one of the folks moderating the site add fuel to the fire by also putting Greg's bike down (clearly to jab at Martin), than I think there is a problem with the way the site is being "moderated"

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Those were patently untrue statements on my side, yes. Sarcasm doesn't carry over well to text I guess...

In any case I wasn't putting down the bike--the opposite, in fact. The components look like they are in great shape. I thought Martin's commentary on their poor condition was funny given how pristine everything looks. A jab at Martin, sure, but not a jab at the bike.

Aaand I never said *I* didn't welcome him to the site, I tried to give some perspective on why he may be getting the friction he is getting. The site is open to whoever wants to contribute. I am not understanding the brittleness here, but whatever :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.