Chris Igleheart

Kevin Grady

Hello from Seattle! I'm a recent lurker, here, and need to ask some questions about a former framebuilder for Fat Chance.

Does anyone know where Chris Igleheart is working? Also, does anyone have any history on Igleheart frames?

I had the good fortune of acquiring an 853 frame that appears to have been built under his name, only.

I have no fork, so suggestions are welcome. I could go rigid, but since this will be my only atb bike I'm inclined to get a suspension fork. FYI, the headtube is for a 1" steerer.

Thanks, in advance.

DonH

I heard he had a shop in Danvers,Ma. a couple of years ago. There was a mention in BIKE magazine about him building rigid forks. The email address I had for him then was Iglebike@aol.com

bullmoose

There's a blast from the past!
I don't have any idea where he is now. I met with him in Maine (Bath or Woolwich) back in about 1994. My wife took pictures of him in his workshop/barn. At the time he was producing bar ends (calling them "Bar Flys") and welding up limited numbers of frames. His specialty was offroad tandem frames, many of them finished with a signature "cow" paint scheme, I believe, that consisted of white tubes with black spots and a pink "udder" around the bottom bracket!
I still have a pair of his bar ends somewhere...

rick

for a time (not too long ago) Chris was liscensed to make the Big One Inch fork. Bikeman in Maine had them listed on their site.

Wendyll is now working to get the forks to market and I do not know if Chris is involved.

Kevin Grady

Thanks, everyone!

I saw the Bikeman site, where Chris Igleheart has some CX forks for sale. I also tried the aol account you listed for him, so I emailed him, as well.

Kevin Grady

Heard back from Christopher Igleheart

Christopher emailed me back and let me know that the 853 frame I acquired was built when he was out in Portland, Oregon, in the mid 90's.

He said he moved back to Vermont to build forks (again) for Fat City from '98 to 2000. He is still offering the Fat City forks (through Bikeman/Bath, who has confirmed that they have a few in stock).

He also said that he is living on the north shore, above Boston, and has been recently making 29"(700c) steel bikes.

Thanks for your help!

fat fork

I recently went through Igleheart and Wendyll to get one of the new fat forks. He was a nice guy to deal with and the fork was beautiful...Not cheap though! I got it sent bare and had it sent off to get painted...where it is right now. I got it for a 2000 Yo in 1 1/8"headset. The tubing is smaller than the old forks...1" vs 1 1/8". Do the old 10th anni Fats have the standard 1 1/8" tubing on the forks or are they 1" as well?
It kind of surprised me to get a skinnier bladed fork, but it still looks killer. Lighter maybe?
Has anyone else bought one of the new Fat Forks? Were any of the old forks made with 1" blades toward the end of the rigid fork craze?

Fatty

Yo Eddy!

Fat's own BigOneInch came with one inch blades. The BOI was featured on 10th's and ti's. The BOI was 1/4 pound lighter than the Yo Eddy! fork.

BTW does the Igleheart fork have the two little gussets at the back of the blades, just like the BOI?

Igle fork

Thanks for the info! Yes, the fork has the gussets on the back and Igleheart even sent me original Yo guys for the top of the fork blades.
So the Yo Eddy forks were a larger diameter than the BOI on the Fat Ti's and 10th's? Wow I always thought that the huge 1 1/8" diameter blades were the norm. You are right about the weight...this fork is incredibly light! It weighs like 1.6 pounds. Spicer Ti forks weigh in at 1.3 I believe. That's not too shabby!
I will be posting pics of the fork on my Cherry Love Yo as soon as it gets painted.

Cheers,
Fatty

AB

Re: Igleheart Info

Mikey,

Thanks for posting this information - interesting. The demise of Fat City and the events responsible still seem clouded. I have talked to knowledgeable long time dealers who are not Fat fans. Also the fact that Serotta, Seven and IF are still around and pretty highly respected makes Fats problems more curious - to me anyway. However, if Chris just wanted out I can see that - every situation changes.

visitor

FYI: For haha's I e-mailed Bikeman to see if they did have any forks. They do have some forks made by Igleheart. The forks are 1-1/8", and I did not find out if they are threaded or threadless. The price was $299 + shipping.
skull.gif

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yo Eddy!

The pic on the bikeman page shows a fork with tapered and bended blades.... but it is the cross frok pictured.

fat-tony

Staff member
seller

seller emailed me back to explain that the fork is from the early 90's (who knows?).

visitor

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wyatt

fattyboombatty said:
I recently went through Igleheart and Wendyll to get one of the new fat forks. He was a nice guy to deal with and the fork was beautiful...Not cheap though!

May I ask how much it was? Did Chris build it? I have been contacting over the last few years about getting one and never have. Can it be gotten painted? I am asking you so I don't bother him until I can make a decision. I thought it was $350 painted black and madby Chris. FOr you others, Chris said he would make unicrown and curved bladed forks of a simpler style for $180 to $229, depending on disc option or not. Any info you have on this forks I will be grateful for. Thanks.

WYATT