Mystery FAT

jonrock

Hi,

Im new to this forum.

I need help in understanding this FAT I picked up a good while back.
I has no serial number I can find. It has something stamped on the rear dropout I cant read...not campy.Also true BOI forks.The top tube isnt 1 1/4 as a YO should be right?Neon decals and a threaded BB.
Can anyone help me figure what model this is...?

BTW please excuse the dust!

Thanks

J

DSC04742.jpg

DSC04743.jpg

mainlyfats

I've never seen a gusset like that before. It was also repainted.

Threaded BB? Can you take a shot of the rear drop outs that show the chain stays and seat stays?

Could the drop outs say G.P. Wilson?

AB

I'd say your only hope in solving this bike is Scott. Also I doubt that's a BOI.

Last edited:

jonrock

This is a true BOI fork as I understand it...
The leg diameter is 1".
A far as I was told this was a 'custom' frameset made by FAT.
J

IF52

weird stay details at the dropout, as one has the bullet stay end and the other has a bird's mouth. Also based on the tops of the fork legs, I would guess that is a repro BOI. A little closer and clearer shot of the top of the fork legs maybe will help.

Spikes

Is there an extra gusset on the down tube near the headset? This was used on Fat bikes as reinforcement. Maybe you can take a picture of it when it's there?

settemarche

the seat stay gusset is strange but - make me think Wicked or Yo.

drop outs are odd, no bullets on the chain stays.

Yo fork looks fairly legit - could be found on many different Fat models.

cable routing - make me think Wicked.

under bottom bracket tubes - reminds me of my Slim Chance!

but... it does not look like the chainstays are round where they contact the bottom bracket. they look sort of ovalish. to my understanding all Fats have rounded not oval chainstays. but, it could also be the picture that is distorting what i am looking at???

my 2 cents,

Sette

AB

Definitely could have been a warranty issue (broken frame etc) and an employee had it rebuilt custom.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
It would be neat to find out what happened to it if it was a repair, or if it was a fully custom job from the start, but in any case it looks pretty awesome! I like the BB and drop outs in particular. Do you have plans to build it up?

MikeyNYC

The chain stays could be made from Columbus tubing which is why they're tapered and not round. There were very few "experimental" Fats that were made with different tubing, I've seen one other that had odd or custom differences that made them appear to not be typical bullet-stay Fats. Just my 3 cents :skull:

mainlyfats

There isn't much horizontal left under that rear drop out. I don't think that was factory.

That, and the weird decals.

jonrock

Thanks for the help guys...
So model wise we're still not sure wicked or maybe a Yo?
Ive pictured the gusset on the headset.
I think that blue decal on the seat tube say something like Columbus and the
stays are oval where they meet the BB.
Cheers.
I was gonna build it up with some trick anno stuff like purple etc but we'll see.
More pics...
DSC04817.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04815.jpg

DSC04818.jpg

Doug Carter

Staff member
Based on everything, I would guess that it was way too early to be a Yo Eddy. That type of paint was way out of style by 1991, unless it was a retro repaint, but I don't think it was. The decals are strange enough and the fact that it lacks any shop location flag decal is puzzling, too.

Threaded bottom bracket. Late Fat. Hmmm...

Welded on cable routing under BB. Early Fat. Hmmm....

Has anyone EVER seen Fat decals with gradients in them? :confused:

If there is a serial on it, it is under the BB shell by the cable routing. That's the only place I have ever seen them on a Fat. Anyone seen a Fat with NO serial number? There might be a few, but they would have been repairs, or custom bikes for employees (which usually even had odd serials anyway).

I'm stumped.

settemarche

doesn't appear to have an anti chain suck device either.

i think the paint also points to a late 80's build. but then we go back to the threaded BB?

who knows? maybe it is a former show bike!

Sette

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Another thing to check would be tire clearance to determine if the frame was based on a Wicked or a Team Comp or Yo. I dig it though---neat frame you've got there.