FatLanta colour code...anyone

Guys,

looking to freshenup a tired Yo.

Does anyone know the colour code used on the Fatlanta Yo.

Managed to snag an original set of the Fatlanta decals that wenydle (spell) listed a few

years back...;)

Anypics of a Fatlanta would be welcomed

Might try and reproduce a replica over the coming winter months

cheers alan

IF52

It was just a plain white frame, nothing special. I don't recall the color code, but it was more or less a stock color. Do a search on these forums and you'll find a couple threads about the Fatlanta with pictures.

Very disappointing period in my dealings with Fat and Wendyll in particular.

ok cool...

never seen one built, so have no idea how one would have been fitted-out.

if '96 would the frame have been a 1" or 1 1/8" headset.

anyone got a close up pic of the FatLanta top tube decal.

as for the decals, these were posted via ebay so the sale was more transparent/protected.

a Yo set i paid for direct never arrived...:(

a project born around a few stickers...:rolleyes:

DSCF6080.jpg

DSCF6077.jpg

DSCF6084.jpg

cheers alan.

IF52

ok cool...

never seen one built, so have no idea how one would have been fitted-out.

if '96 would the frame have been a 1" or 1 1/8" headset.

anyone got a close up pic of the FatLanta top tube decal.

as for the decals, these were posted via ebay so the sale was more transparent/protected.

a Yo set i paid for direct never arrived...:(

a project born around a few stickers...:rolleyes:

cheers alan.

1 inch. There were only ever the 3 frames, a small, a medium and a large. The large remains new old stock at the shop.

As to how one would have been built, we only ever built up the medium at the shop for display and it was pretty much stripped and reassembled with mid range parts when we sold it. I originally built the bike with a mix of flashy anodized parts in a red, silver and blue theme for obvious reasons. IIRC I used turquoise Ringle hubs, stem and post and Topline cranks. I think I used a King headset and I don't recall what fork. Like I wrote above, when that frame eventually sold it was spec'ed too pricey for the buyer so it was stripped down and rebuilt with LX parts. That was the ONLY Fatlanta to ever leave our shop assembled.

Another note of interest for you, the white paint was NOT the original paint idea I came up with for that frame, but it was the only one Wendyll would agree to. The original and favorite idea was to do a deep metallic red to deep metallic blue fade with stars masked out in the opposite color on each section (blue stars on red/red stars on blue). When I showed the design to friends of mine who were the IF dealer in town they had IF paint a custom single speed Deluxe in that paint scheme just to rub salt in the wound.

Another interesting note regarding the LX build of the medium FatLanta, we sold TONS of Fats, especially between 93 and 95, and of the many Fats we sold, most did NOT come with a rigid fork and I would guess more than half were built up with mid range components or parts swapped off the owners old bike.

lucifer

Not to contradict the expert but I could swear the one hanging in outback is a pearl white. Like the color of some Audis.

jbrannsten

Staff member
I thought so too and looked at some picks I have on my PC. One of the pick (left side) of the L it looks like pearl white but the pick of the head tube looks like plain white (you need to see the full size pick to be able to see it).

Here are some previous posts with pics:

Large

Medium

Not to contradict the expert but I could swear the one hanging in outback is a pearl white. Like the color of some Audis.

IF52

I don't recall exactly, but it wasn't anything special as Wendyll wanted to do these things as cheaply as possible. It may have had a pearl topcoat, but it wasn't something special that she would have had to spend an extra penny on. The decals were a big enough stretch for her. The white was for all intents and purposes a 'stock' color they had on the shelf. If somebody else doesn't have the color code, I would look at whatever Serotta offered that would be close since the frames were painted there.

I think it was a straight clearcoat, but maybe Eli can take a look if he happens to be in Little 5 Points any time soon. If you look at the pictures of the medium it looks more like a straight clearcoat than a pearl.

IF52

I looked around a little bit tonight to see if I could find my noted for back when we were arranging this thing. I couldn't find them, but I did find the artwork for the ad we placed in Creative Loafing at the time. Not that it helps here, just thought it was neat to stumble on it. I'll keep looking to see what I can come up with. Hopefully somebody who has one of the three can jump in and clarify my foggy memory

Attachments

• fatlanta ad.jpg
    fatlanta ad.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 26
how grateful would i be if you could snag me one of those red outback stickers,

of course if they are still available...;)

yeah a heads up on what kind of white would be ace.

cheers alan

IF52

The probably won't have any of the oval decals like on the top tube. The new owners of Outback have 'cleaned up' the logo since I first designed it and it doesn't look like what is on that bike. I kept a small stack of the actual decals that were used for a while, but they all became really brittle and flakey.

guys,

stripped ready to move this on for paint...

noticed that i've got a white signature chainstay decal, thought a black would be better, but having looked at the #20 & #19 they seem to have white, is this correct, seems a bit whacky/rushed or cheap...:)

anyone know if it is white

cheers alan

DSCF6116.jpg

AB

Pearl White paint is correct - no chainstay decal.

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Oh man, you are repainting a Kandy Wild Cherry in what looks like primo condition for this?!?!
Argh....

IF52

Hmm, I sure didn't recall it being a pearl. Oh well, 13 years later...

No decal though, since Chris actually signed these by hand instead.

jbrannsten

Staff member
Oh man, you are repainting a Kandy Wild Cherry in what looks like primo condition for this?!?!
Argh....

Same here, I would have serious doubts about repainting this one, unless there are some major things that does not show in the picture...

arhh guys...i'm torn now, seems to be a lot of love for the stock colour.

off agenda, but anyone got a Yo/BIO in this colour to complete the set-up.

confused Alan...:D

rody

Guys, it's only paint. :confused:

The candy wild cherry was nothing special, but the opportunity to do something really cool with the frame is.

Alan, if it were me in your position...

I'd repaint the frame white and then use red pearl, white pearl and blue pearl separately in the clear fading from front to back. The pearl over white would give a spectacular radiance in the sun, subtly giving more character than the base white frame alone without changing the overall hue or the original historical intent. Layer on the decals to tie the theme together and you would have a unique creation that pays tribute to the original three without copying them straight up.

:twocents:

rody

AB

I'm definitely with Rody on this one - it's a great idea and a unique tribute to the original intent.