New on forums; old to Fats -- Question/Opinion

jh4rt

Hi.

I'm so glad I found this.

I have a Yo! and a Slim. I haven't put them on the registry yet, I will as soon as I go record the serial numbers and take a couple photos.

So, I have an opportunity to potentially trade my Yo! straight across for a new Giant Full Suspension. (Trance/Anthem 2). I'd love to hear thoughts on it.

Truth is, I can't afford to have a second bike right now, so it seems kind of inviting to me, but... What would my Yo! be worth on the open market? Would it be better to sell it outright?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Best,

--jim

Yo Eddy!

Hi.

I'm so glad I found this.

I have a Yo! and a Slim. I haven't put them on the registry yet, I will as soon as I go record the serial numbers and take a couple photos.

So, I have an opportunity to potentially trade my Yo! straight across for a new Giant Full Suspension. (Trance/Anthem 2). I'd love to hear thoughts on it.

You want my opinion? I think it is a stupid trade :D For the whole picture ask the guys at the Giant Anthem board too, if there excist such a thing.

Truth is, I can't afford to have a second bike right now, so it seems kind of inviting to me, but... What would my Yo! be worth on the open market? Would it be better to sell it outright?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Best,

--jim

Imho it is in any case better to make money out of it than swapping it for such as an Giant Anthem. Best is of course keeping it.

Seriously, 'space age' material full suspension are not my favourite. In generally they crack sooner or later and suspension needs attention. Prefer to train my skills and going rigid ...especially on such a fine machine as a Yo. Has loads more soul too.

Only my 2cts ...but you asked for it

jh4rt

You want my opinion? I think it is a stupid trade :D For the whole picture ask the guys at the Giant Anthem board too, if there excist such a thing.

LOL! Yah... I suppose that is right. I do want your opinion; mine is actually the same. i think I just needed some re-assurance.

Imho it is in any case better to make money out of it than swapping it for such as an Giant Anthem. Best is of course keeping it.

Thanks for the advice.

Seriously, 'space age' material full suspension are not my favourite. In generally they crack sooner or later and suspension needs attention. Prefer to train my skills and going rigid ...especially on such a fine machine as a Yo. Has loads more soul too.

Only my 2cts ...but you asked for it

No question about the SOUL!!!

Yo Eddy!

To put everything in the right perspective: I am biased. I have no idea what a Giant Anthem is. I only know it modern and it is a FS bike, as you told me. Maybe it is a better offer than comparable bikes. Maybe it is a very decent bike for about 95% of the biking population. Or to put it better: Maybe it makes them happy.

On the value thing: I have some clue of Yo value. They tend not to go cheap for an old bike. Expect somewhere between $200 for a trashed frame only and $1200 for a new old stock frame with Yo Eddy fork on eBay. As you expect I can't tell you a single meaningfull word on Anthem value.

Good luck deciding.

scant

I feel your pain. While I love the older retro rigs for looks I VASTLY prefer the modern rigs for actual riding.
think VERY carefully about if you'd miss the yo eddy. easy enough to get another giant, getting difficult to find yo eddys :)

Spikes

Trading a Yo! for a Giant isn't just very, very dumb. It's blasphemic too! :)
No seriously: Please don't trade it for that Giant. You'll regret it in the end. That Giant needs to be replaced in three years, yielding a worthless piece of junk, while your Yo! will keep it's value.

settemarche

JH4RT,

i am with the others. quite a silly trade. handmade US original or a Chinese pop out that was conceived in the mind of some marketing company. flavor of the month - and of course the model and rear suspension linkage will be changed next year. hardtails do not change.

our man Yo has a good point. and one that i have been thinking about recently. a ridged bike will really force you into riding cleanly. you really have to be smooth on a ridged bike. i find that when i switch onto a bike with front suspension i can really fly.

now, i had a high end full susser. i sold it because it never felt on the limit. it was rather boring to ride. it just went over everything. disc brakes worked so well you never seem to get into trouble. away it went. away too should go your thoughts of a trade!

Sette

colker

i rather have a rigid bike on extrem technical terrain than anything suspension and mountain biking translates as "extreme technical terrain" to me.

NCAndy

If you do decide to trade, the trance is a much nicer bike than the anthem. I've not ridden either of my Yos in 5 yrs since I changed to a fully. My back has not been this happy in a long time. BTW, it's rather easy to push yourself to the limit on a fully if you want to. You can get into trouble a whole lot faster if you really push it.

NCA

Jeeves

I was all excited about FS and going FAST, but now I'm glad that I have my FATS. :) I'm probably biased (I'm here, aren't I?) but I think that a FS bikes simply don't handle as precisely as a rigid for XC. Sure, they are nice for downhill, but I have yet to find a nice mountain that is all downhill all the time!

jh4rt

If you do decide to trade, the trance is a much nicer bike than the anthem. I've not ridden either of my Yos in 5 yrs since I changed to a fully. My back has not been this happy in a long time. BTW, it's rather easy to push yourself to the limit on a fully if you want to. You can get into trouble a whole lot faster if you really push it.

NCA

The guy who wants to trade showed up last night with a Trance 1. I'm going to try it. I'll keep you guys posted. Also, I'll post some pics of my Yo! later this morning.

jh4rt

Yo! Pics

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Last edited:

jh4rt

The guy who wants to trade showed up last night with a Trance 1. I'm going to try it. I'll keep you guys posted. Also, I'll post some pics of my Yo! later this morning.

I rode it around in the parking lot this morning... And wasn't really impressed. It felt sluggish and mushy. I think it is a no-go, but I need to take it out on the trail, for due respect. Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket this afternoon so I can have both!

Kevin Grady

jh4rt

Let me add to the chorus that trading your Yo for boing-boing sofa cushion will be a disappointment. I traded away my original Fat for a Specialized FSR and could not admit that I had made a mistake, until I finally decided to get rid of it. Replaced with an Chris Igleheart framed hardtail.

I just never got into the full suspension thing, probably because I really only do XC type of riding, along with road riding. There was just not much benefit and more headache maintaining and worrying about parts/joints to go south, quickly. Just my opinion....

settemarche

that Yo is great. the fork alone is work more than a Trance or Anthem 6 months down the road.

and to NC Andy's point. you can push the limit or find the limit, but body armor and a full faced helmet are not that interesting to me. i like the speed - but speed kills too.

Sette

NCAndy

that Yo is great. the fork alone is work more than a Trance or Anthem 6 months down the road.

and to NC Andy's point. you can push the limit or find the limit, but body armor and a full faced helmet are not that interesting to me. i like the speed - but speed kills too.

Sette

Point taken. I hit a pine tree at speed a couple weeks back and damaged the cranks. (think powerslide to make the bike hit the tree instead of me) For me it's just the evolution of the sport. The full face and armor have saved me much pain and suffering. I swore by my Yo's and Wickeds for years. Alas, age and many years in the wood flooring business have taken their toll. Hardtails and rigid bikes are for short rides now. Back and knees just can't take the beating.

Now, as to handling and such, a FS rig isn't a steel hardtail. It rides differently and one has to adapt their style to the bike. Personally, I find them to be every bit as precise in the handling department as my Yo ever was. It took me a while to find out how to ride a FS that way but, I find no loss in handling precision from the suspension. Just my dos pesos.

BTW, that Yo is beautiful. I wouldn't trade it for a FS rig. If you really want boing, save your sheckles and buy one.

Peace

NCA

gump

Really it depends what riding you want to do. I agree with Scant on this, as he knows. New bikes are way better if you do a lot of riding on varied terrain.

However, saying that, would I swap a Yo for a modern bike? No. The Yo is to be appreciated and is something special. The Giant, although a nice enough bike, is just a run of the mill modern bike. Two years from now will be almost worthless and not looked at twice. The Yo will still be special and you will still appreciate it more I guarantee.

If you want a new bike, maybe save and go halfway with a modern disced up front sus? Big step up from retro rigid, but cheaper than a FS? Don't sell the Yo.

:D

colker

Point taken. I hit a pine tree at speed a couple weeks back and damaged the cranks. (think powerslide to make the bike hit the tree instead of me) For me it's just the evolution of the sport. The full face and armor have saved me much pain and suffering. I swore by my Yo's and Wickeds for years. Alas, age and many years in the wood flooring business have taken their toll. Hardtails and rigid bikes are for short rides now. Back and knees just can't take the beating.

Now, as to handling and such, a FS rig isn't a steel hardtail. It rides differently and one has to adapt their style to the bike. Personally, I find them to be every bit as precise in the handling department as my Yo ever was. It took me a while to find out how to ride a FS that way but, I find no loss in handling precision from the suspension. Just my dos pesos.

BTW, that Yo is beautiful. I wouldn't trade it for a FS rig. If you really want boing, save your sheckles and buy one.

Peace

NCA

hi andy,

for slow, leisure riding, i prefer rigid. i like the feedback from the trail. plush susp. gives me.. a plush susp. feel. when going fast, bombing down fast agressively then susp is the way. or riding dangerous, nasty stuff then susp is way superior.
when relaxing, meditating on the trail i like steel rigid bikes... w/ the right geometry it's bliss.

jh4rt

Cush-cush bike ridden.

I have to say I really liked it. It was totally different. BUT!!!! NO WAY am I trading my YO! for it. I rode with UpChuck here on the boards; great time. Like I said, I wouldn't mind having a full suspension bike, and this seems like a nice one, but I wouldn't give up my Fat Chance for it.

Thanks for all the advice.

--jim