Fat Stuff on ebay right now :-o

colker

Cool, I measured it with my tape measure, and it wasn't 1-1/8; it was closer to 1"...as you can see from this thread, I'm in need of a Caliper to take exact measurements.

It's a great fork, and when I bought it, I was told it was a BOI. I paid $350 for it which was a great price being that a couple BOI forks had jusst gone for $450 and $560 in the weeks before it.

I'm hoping no one bids on it, this way I can get it measured with a caliper and determine it to be a BOI for sure, eliminating the confusion.

If it's not, is the Yo Eddy worth a lot less, and did I get ripped off :mad:
Seriously, it doesn't matter; the fork looks great and so does the paint, so I enjoyed it. Just have too many forks including a bunch of 1" forks, and I can spare this one.

I apologize for the confusion.

both are valuable. the yoismore desirable to some while the BOI is to others.
yours look like a yo... but the color places it in 93 when BOI was already in production. only a caliper will tell for sure.

colker

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mainlyfats

Dood!

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255&d=1123101105

Apparently, this is one of the first three bikes Chris made after leaving Witcomb USA. They were samples he put on his car and drove around looking for commissions.

It lives at Toronto coffee shop now - http://www.cherrybombcoffee.ca/ (see the bike wall under Dough).

Wow! That Strada is just my size. I've never seen a Chance that old on ebay before (or anywhere for that matter).
http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Chris-Chan...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mainlyfats

That same guy...

Fits me too. I don't think I could afford it though.

... sold the most amazing Chance track bike that I think was the same size and probably owned by the same guy - a bike shop owner in the Boston area. In the grand scheme of things it went for a pretty reasonable amount. Chris' bikes don't have the cache of a contemporary Sachs, Eisentraut, Weigle and are not even in the same atmosphere as California Masis (although I'd be surprised if he made many more road bikes than Mario Confente pre-Fat).

I think that to road collectors, Fat Chance kind of sullied his name. He's just "that mountain bike guy".

I tried to sell mine - dated 1977 - and didn't get any real bids.

jh4rt

... sold the most amazing Chance track bike that I think was the same size and probably owned by the same guy - a bike shop owner in the Boston area. In the grand scheme of things it went for a pretty reasonable amount. Chris' bikes don't have the cache of a contemporary Sachs, Eisentraut, Weigle and are not even in the same atmosphere as California Masis (although I'd be surprised if he made many more road bikes than Mario Confente pre-Fat).

I think that to road collectors, Fat Chance kind of sullied his name. He's just "that mountain bike guy".

I tried to sell mine - dated 1977 - and didn't get any real bids.

I think the Slim stands out however. That bike was all the great things about mountain bikes and TIG welded frames rolled up into one of the sweetest rides ever. I haven't been on a huge amount of bikes; I have ridden a couple of Colnagos, a bunch of Merlins (including a Cielo, which is an amazing bike), but would say that the difference in feel was one of closeness. I have never ridden a bike better at translating my "desires" to the road better than my Slim. And Vice-versa. I have never been on another bike which made me feel as "close" to the road.

Just one man's opinion.

mainlyfats

Such is collecting...

I think the Slim stands out however. That bike was all the great things about mountain bikes and TIG welded frames rolled up into one of the sweetest rides ever. I haven't been on a huge amount of bikes; I have ridden a couple of Colnagos, a bunch of Merlins (including a Cielo, which is an amazing bike), but would say that the difference in feel was one of closeness. I have never ridden a bike better at translating my "desires" to the road better than my Slim. And Vice-versa. I have never been on another bike which made me feel as "close" to the road.

Just one man's opinion.

... a quality product is not necessarily collectible and vice versa. I totally agree with you - they are magical bikes, but bring one to L'Eroica and people probably wouldn't find it "interesting enough" to get excited over.

masiman

... a quality product is not necessarily collectible and vice versa. I totally agree with you - they are magical bikes, but bring one to L'Eroica and people probably wouldn't find it "interesting enough" to get excited over.

What is L'Eroica? I have not heard of that.

I may have to pick up a Slim one day. My current road frames are interestingly a California Masi (my first racer) and a Litespeed Ultimate.

I agree about the mountain bike guy comment. I remember when the Slims first came out and how well they were reviewed. Even then I thought that I did not want to own a road bike by some MTB guys. The panache was not there. The good part is that those bikes are standing the test of time.

I found the Merlins to be too whippy like the early carbon bikes I tried (Look and Trek). The other bikes from that 70's-80's (Rossin, Pinarello, Colnago, Merckx, etc.) era I found to be either harsher than the Masi or more relaxed. The Masi was a great balance of all day comfort and crit racing in steel. I wish it were a little stiffer for the sprints but it was not bad. The Ultimate is closer still to a crit bike yet still comfortable.

sancho

What is L'Eroica? I have not heard of that.

I may have to pick up a Slim one day. My current road frames are interestingly a California Masi (my first racer) and a Litespeed Ultimate.

If you can find one in your size, jump on it. It takes some work to get them going from a standstill, but once they get moving the ride is amazing.

masiman

It's a race in Italy where collectors ride and come to ogle vintage bikes. It's like a vintage car rally.

The 2007 ride was on October 7th.

Is the name a play on l'erotica?

Sounds very cool indeed. I'd love to attend one. Unfortunately, by the time I am able to afford the cost to get there, the Trek Madone may be in the vintage lineup :).