Fat Chance Tattoos

jawakaman

Screaming Yo!

Got this two years ago (on the inside of left ankle), after pondering for close to 18 years... :D

Attachments

• IMG_0145_tattoo.jpg
    IMG_0145_tattoo.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 36

I-ROBOT

Hey Paul
Just checked out all the pics from the link above. Pretty cool that you have the last two Somerville brochures. What most people don't know is that I am conspicuously absent from both brochures. I was supposed to be on the cover of the 1993 brochure since I was one of the longest tenured employees at that point. We had just spent an incredible amount of time and effort moving out of the old Olive Square shop and into the new Linden Street shop. Chris had a couple of homo photogs come and set up this "highly stylized shot" (say with a lisp if you can) that had me standing in the old truck loading bay that was at the back of the shop. I had just gone through the Fat City moving process, the birth of my daughter, and the de-leading of the apartment I lived in all in 1992. Apparently after this photo shoot was done, Wendyll decided that I looked "tired" so they re-did the welding mask shot with Rob the machinist - who didn't know his butthole from a hole in the ground about welding (and cheerfully admitted it) - without telling me. You can imagine the look on my face when the boxes of brochures arrived at the shop and there's Rob behind the mask on the cover instead of me. I wrote a scathing letter to Chris about the entire situation explaining what I had just gone through and he (to his credit) called a shop meeting and read it to everyone (including all the swears). It just happened to be Lawrie Pinkham's first day as the new production manager (he used to paint part-time for Chris years before) and he was all worried that I was going to quit. We had a long talk and I agreed not to walk out. I decided not to participate in any more company functions and skipped all the rest of any photo ops except for the Channel 5 "Chronicle" piece (I don't know if that video is available anywhere) which only shows me welding very briefly.

I never really needed the spotlight. I always felt that Fat City belonged to Chris and he should (rightfully so) get all of the credit for what the company produced. It was always nice to read positive magazine articles that praised our welding. I enjoyed that part of it and I always took the time to constructively critique people's work and got along well with the welders that came through the shop (except for George Reynolds but that's a whole other story). I am proud that I was able to teach the basics of TIG welding to Chris Igleheart and Mike Flanigan who continue on in the business and its cool to see companies like IF and Seven that were spin-offs of Fat City and Merlin still hanging in there.

I have a lot of great memories form my 8 years there - and one really bad one. I appreciate my time there so much more reading all of the cool stories everyone posts and the love of the bikes that continues to this day. Thanks to all.
Scott

lml999

I have a scar on the back of my ankle from the chainring of my Wicked. Not quite a tattoo but a permament reminder of my favourite ride:D

I named my first born after my favourite race car- Lola.

Ha!

I have one of those on my left calf...Campy Record chainring took a *big* bite, needed 13 stitches. Only saving grace is that the scar looks just like the grease mark left by a chain...you can count the teeth in the scar!

Lee

frodoentoby

hi there every one its been a while for me to come here ,

i am a big fat fan for ages now and i also have a fat tattoo , for a while now ,

and i wanna show it to the world now its on the back of my calf

gr ricardo

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 215

yoeddynz

Great photos in that link! Cheers. I love the old brochures. I'll dig out my old 1990 Yo eddy folded card advert that came in an early MBA.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Six years ago I asked a question here about a subject I had been considering since 1993. Big chicken to take 22 years to decide to do something like this. After I lost my job in October, and the subsequent struggles we had to keep our lives glued together, I decided that once I got a new gig, I wasn't going to let anything stop me form doing the things I have always said I was going to do.

So, this past week, I finally committed to my passion for Fat Chance bikes. I know it looks a bit like a decal, the shine is from the Aquaphor ointment on it, and the colors were special order to get them to be bright. My artist used white in the art, too, which should heal less pink over the next couple of weeks. Pretty happy with the result.

yo-eddy-aggro_tat.jpg

Now, time for a Fat SS fixie. :)

fat-tony

Staff member
Six years ago I asked a question here about a subject I had been considering since 1993. Big chicken to take 22 years to decide to do something like this. After I lost my job in October, and the subsequent struggles we had to keep our lives glued together, I decided that once I got a new gig, I wasn't going to let anything stop me form doing the things I have always said I was going to do.

So, this past week, I finally committed to my passion for Fat Chance bikes. I know it looks a bit like a decal, the shine is from the Aquaphor ointment on it, and the colors were special order to get them to be bright. My artist used white in the art, too, which should heal less pink over the next couple of weeks. Pretty happy with the result.

yo-eddy-aggro_tat.jpg

Now, time for a Fat SS fixie. :)

Great tattoo, bro!