FC Novice: What do I have?

Loveland

Some more pictures w/ paint removed

Here's a look at the frame with its clothes off. Looks like it was repaired/altered in several places then re-painted. I'm basing that assumption on the premise that the brass/copper looking spots on the middle of seat tube and also the down tube near BB are in fact repairs of some sort?? I also included close ups of the weird BB for further review as well as a photo of some (pitting??) on the stay opposite the chain. At first I assumed it was blue corrossion that I was sanding and then it occured to me that I may have removing fill that may (ironically) have been used to fill pitting from previous corrosion?? If that's the case, I'll file it under live and learn. I included a few other pics too. There is a stamp near the bottom of the seat tube that says "ED 19/22" that I thought I'd include as well (whatver that means). This has been cool learning experience and I really appreciate all the help and input. I started polishing up the frame last night and have more to do. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here with chain damage and the pitting on chainstays. Also, I know a guy who has a paint shop on his property that does a ton of work for the local auto auto dealerships and he's done a great for me with my car in the past. I was thinking I would have him spray the frame. Or should I send it off to D&D in CA for a 2nd go round with them? (I checked and they are still in business). Also, I like the Blue color from 1985 but since this bike is so heavily modified is it totally beside the point to try and stick with orig. colors? Speaking of "orig": Is there any way to tell by looking at it if the BB (minus paint) if it was orig vs. switched out or threaded at some point? Because I can't see any evidence of the Kicker cable guides were ever there but then again maybe I wouldn't. In my non-expert opinion the welding looks identical at every (joint like the same person did it all). THX!!

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6104.jpg
    IMG_6104.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6109.jpg
    IMG_6109.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Stamp on seat tube near BB.jpg
    Stamp on seat tube near BB.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6181.jpg
    IMG_6181.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6172.jpg
    IMG_6172.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 25

Loveland

Photos

Few more photos for detective work.

Attachments

• IMG_6127.jpg
    IMG_6127.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6103.jpg
    IMG_6103.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6139.jpg
    IMG_6139.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 13
20130823_213309_zps5de2e4c6.jpg

Tange sounds right.

IF52

I see the log says 16" but I just measured the frame (from center of BB to top of seat tube) and it's 17.5"!!!

Now measure it center to center and see what you come up with. IIRC that how Fats were measured for size.

rick

FWIW I have an 80s Fat that has fittings for both top tube and under the bottom bracket cable routing. It appears to be original, not re-painted. I was told that this was likely a special order bike. Also cam ewith a box crown fork and roller cam brakes

Loveland

Repainted 85' Kicker frame (heavily modified) w/ 1992 everything else

The overhaul is complete! Here's the finished procuct. Thanks for all the help and comments as I attempted to figure out what I was working with. The paint color is "WR blue pearl". The guy I had paint it ended up using same paint Suburu is using on their 2014 WRX concept car. I didn't have to change or replace any of the 1992 components. I just cleaned and degreased everything, replace tires, all cables/housimg, and replaced and repacked all the bearings. Just took it out for a spin and it's running like a dream. Well worth the time and effort.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 28
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 30

sketchy

Great looking bike! Nice job on the resto. It's funny, but when I saw the handwriting in the frame log I did a double take- looks exactly like the handwriting of someone who used to work at Seven (where I work now) and would fill out the frame log. And this person worked at FCC in the earley days.