Problem with my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance

fatchance

Thank you, my main problem is that my lower back hurts after riding it for a half an hour or so. The reason I think I need a bigger frame is that I can't sit up at all and relax when I am riding. With a larger frame I think I would be able to lower the seat post and use a longer stem so I can sit more up right and not as crouched over like I am now.

chefmiguel

Bigger frame can also mean longer top tube stretching you out, and probably not helping your back. If upright is your goal, riser bars or an alt shaped bar could be the answer. It may not be period correct but it's better than collecting dust.

fat-tony

Staff member
Beautifull bike. You could ride a bigger frame but.. i suggest first you level that saddle. You already have a 135 stem .. but it needs more rise.
The drop down saddle is generating most of your fit problems. Level it. Then raise it to where it needs to be. take more pics and i will tell you if you want a bigger frame.
I love your frame btw. beautifull color.. and no, i am not coveting your bike. heheh

Yes, Colker is right, way too much downward slope on your saddle.

tvcreative

2 things

1. take a level and place on the top of the saddle, level it...

your tookus will thank you. Your saddle was not designed to point down

2. it's an old school mountain bike, and difference between saddle height and bar height will be greater than a newer designed bike. This is the source of many complaints of first time FAT owners. You have two choices, get a cheep and short jerk stem (as they are called by bike shop mechanics) to pop you up higher, and get riser bars to give you more elevation.

or a you could try a larger frame which would by default - have a higher from the ground top tube and a longer top tube. This larger frame could also be augmented to be more upright with a jerk stem. Your saddle is plenty high on the small bike so you might be right on larger frame feeling.

your nuts on the other hand might not like you should you have to bail on bump

I have an 18 wicked and waited about a year on ebay to find a 100mm salsa stem with a 15 degree rise. This made things more comfy for sure.

I also have a 19 inch wicked, which shortened my seatpost height, and I found a short 100 ritchey force stem and salsa bars with a 9 degree sweep to bring me back and up.

good luck, but by reading your posts I think you would probably be more satisfied by a newer bike with all of designed creature features

fatchance

Thank you for the advise. I think the larger frame route makes more scene for me. I recently got a 130mm kalloy stem that I could use on a larger frame since the one on my current bike is 135mm. I would definitely get a riser bar no matter what considering I don't like the crouched over riding style. I previously owned a 2007 Rocky Mountain Hardtail mountain bike and didn't like the riding style and cheaper feel compared to the high quality feel and look of Fats.