Ti Fat question

Defiant

Hmm. My bike has NY stickers, but has the number: TF1013. I got it in '94 or '95.
No sleeves on the down tube. Is this one of the "transition" frames - made in MA, shipped out of NY?

Thanks,
-Raj

Could you show a pictures from your serial number?
I think yours might be TFL 013

rick

Ti Fat serial numbers

Michael,

we bought ours from Wendyll at the same time but I had never compared serial numbers; mine is TF ML 1178 (just 2 after yours!)

rick

MikeyNYC

Hiya Folks,
as a base line, my small medium was the first out of the door at the factory swap.
six month wait, got mine on the 15/3/95.

fatintheconservatory014.jpg

ti-fat-man

I see from this photo that you have Cook Bros Racing RSR Crank arms on a NY Made Ti Fat Chance?

What brand/size bottom bracket are you running with those cranks, as I want to put my Cook Bros. RSR cranks on my M/L Ti Fat, but I think that I need a very long BB spindle so the crank arms and the inner "granny" ring will properly clear the chain stays
...Any advice would be very helpful!!

Thanks,

Michael-NYC

commander

call phil

get a phil spindle -

i think mine was a custom job -

just tell them how long - and they will make it.

Hiya Michael,

I have used a RaceFace Taperlock steel b/b, their longest length (from memory 113mm).
The steel model has the red cups, but i ordered a pair of blue cups that come with ti axle bottom bracket and swapped them over.........really to match the decals.
I prefer to use a smaller granny ring, therefore gone with a 24T buzzsaw.
Good clearance on the ring/chainstay, without having the crank-arms overly wide.

MikeyNYC

Hiya Michael,

I have used a RaceFace Taperlock steel b/b, their longest length (from memory 113mm).
The steel model has the red cups, but i ordered a pair of blue cups that come with ti axle bottom bracket and swapped them over.........really to match the decals.
I prefer to use a smaller granny ring, therefore gone with a 24T buzzsaw.
Good clearance on the ring/chainstay, without having the crank-arms overly wide.

Thanks!

Upchuck

Just so I know I'm not going after the wrong part, my '93 Ti Fat takes a 34.9 bottom pull front der, yes?

Upchuck

Thanks! Ok, next question:

What length spindle do I need if I'm using an M900 XTR crankset? I have a new UN71 127mm in my parts bin. Too long?

laffeaux

Thanks! Ok, next question:

What length spindle do I need if I'm using an M900 XTR crankset? I have a new UN71 127mm in my parts bin. Too long?

Yeah, the 127mm will be too long.

The m900 crankset is supposed to use a 107-113mm spindle. However, when I built up my early Fat Ti I found that I needed to go wider than "recommended" in order to have the rings clear the chain stays. I used a Ritchey Logic crank, which is supposed to use a 120mm spindle, but it ended u using a 130mm (although a 126ish length would be better - but I didn't have one in my parts bin).

If you have a 113mm try it to see if it works. If you're buying a BB, I'd suggest going a little wider (maybe 118?).

Upchuck

Yeah, the 127mm will be too long.

The m900 crankset is supposed to use a 107-113mm spindle. However, when I built up my early Fat Ti I found that I needed to go wider than "recommended" in order to have the rings clear the chain stays. I used a Ritchey Logic crank, which is supposed to use a 120mm spindle, but it ended u using a 130mm (although a 126ish length would be better - but I didn't have one in my parts bin).

If you have a 113mm try it to see if it works. If you're buying a BB, I'd suggest going a little wider (maybe 118?).
Thanks for the feedback, EL! I was actually hoping you'd see this post as I knew you had recent first hand experience. I'll try a 118 and see if it works.