1988 Wicked Fat Chance (period correct...I hope)

RobTu

(updated November 2010- down below)

I had posted this over on retrobike a while back, but should've posted it here as well, since this is the home of all things Fat on the net, and maybe not everyone here goes overthere

1988 Fat City Cycles Wicked Fat Chance
Serial # 00858W

IMG_0009FatAd.jpg

Frame: Fat City Cycles custom drawn triple butted 4130 Chrome-Moly from True Temper USA in glossy black with glossy black matching fork

Fork: Fat Chance Unicrown fork (steel)
Headset: Shimano Deore XT
Stem: Salsa Pro-Moto with binder bolt and cable guide
Handlebar: Fat City's T2 aluminum black, with sweep
Grips: mountain grips (possibly grab on)

Brakes: (f) Shimano Deore XT (m730); (r) chain stay mounted Shimano Deore XT (m730) u-brake with shark tooth
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore XT (m730)
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT (m730 with rubber hoods)

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT SIS (m730)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT (m730)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT (m730)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS SP
Cassette: Shimano 600 EX
Chain: Shimano 600 EX
Chain stay protector: Shimano Shark Fin
Cranks: Shimano Deore XT with Bio Pace chain rings (46/36/26)
Bottom Bracket: Fat City chrome-moly spindle with sealed bearings
Pedals: Suntour XC-II Mountain Beartraps

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT with f & r QR (m730)
Rims: (F) 32H specialized GX 23 black; (r) 32H Mavic Oxygen black
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT (m730)
Tyres: (f) Specialized Ground Control 26x1.95"; (r) Tioga Farmer John 26x1.95"

Saddle: Specialized Lambda, leather with steel rails
Seatpost: Strong
Seatpost Binder: Shimano Deore XT (m730)

Weight: 27.10 LBS (complete with pedals)

I received this bike mostly whole, minus a few extra bits to make it right, from a former manager of Toga bike shop in the 80's. He was a roadie, 1982 NYS champ, but was given this bike, built for him at FCC. He didn't put it to much off-road use, thus its minty condition- there's barely a scratch on it.

Took it out for a ride, and it's awesome, even with the cool period correct tires, that have great rubber, but questionable sidewall strength at this point. (I believe I can see through some of the sidewall in spots; can anyone suggest a remedy or method to resote old tires? Also, is the seat too early for this bike?

anyway, hope you enjoy, and as always, feedback/suggestions/critiques welcomed, as this project isn't finished quite yet. Thanks

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0004_2.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008_2.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036-1.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Last edited:

DC

Nice redo of the old ad campaign!
Not sure if you noticed, but there is something stuck in your spokes;)
A layer or two of duct tape inside the sidewalls will help keep the skins from blowing out, but I doubt there is any real way to restore them. Does First Flight still have repro Timbuk 2s?
Sweet bike, enjoy the ride.

DC

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Nice to see that Wicked again.

There is some sort of epoxy-like gel coating that people used to use on tubular sidewalls, might be worth looking into.

rick

88 wicked

very nice bike, I like the look of the black fork compared to the more common yellow forks.
First Flight does still have the Timbuk II tires; I highly recommend them. I have them on quite a few of my Fats; they look right and perform fairly well for an older design.

rick

RobTu

Nice redo of the old ad campaign!
Not sure if you noticed, but there is something stuck in your spokes;)
A layer or two of duct tape inside the sidewalls will help keep the skins from blowing out, but I doubt there is any real way to restore them. Does First Flight still have repro Timbuk 2s?
Sweet bike, enjoy the ride.

DC

Thanks! Those Fat ads from the late 80's are some of my all time favorite MTB ads. My homage would not have been complete without those special addition corn flake deflectors in the spokes; they were harder to find than some of the Fat parts ;)

Yes, once the sidewalls start to go :skull: it's over. Duct tape is great; thanks NASA!

Nice to see that Wicked again.

There is some sort of epoxy-like gel coating that people used to use on tubular sidewalls, might be worth looking into.

Thanks Nate, yes, I think I know what you're speaking of...it's highly toxic though, and only sold in barrels. Hmmm, the old roadies use that on their old tires I believe.

very nice bike, I like the look of the black fork compared to the more common yellow forks.
First Flight does still have the Timbuk II tires; I highly recommend them. I have them on quite a few of my Fats; they look right and perform fairly well for an older design.

rick

Thanks, I'll have to give the FF a call regarding the TimbukII tires. Yes, the black fork looks better. I also have a sakae TCO black seatpost that will be going on.

Always nice to see that old Fat. Got much use out of it this year my friend?

Thanks Si! Unfortunately, that would be a big No :( In the past two years, I've gotten married, become a father, gained 30 pounds with my wife during her pregnancy; she lost hers almost instantly, while I kept mine. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this, now to get back in shape and hit the trails hard once again. btw, I envy all your riding time; you must tell me how you do it ;)

Dr S

btw, I envy all your riding time; you must tell me how you do it ;)

I wish! I work a 70-80 hour week, have two children and a wife to keep happy and a barn full of cars that need restoring. I'm lucky to get a half day or two a month out on the bike. I've taken to riding late at night and very early in the morning when the family is asleep to try and keep my hand in. You have to just make what time you can find buddy. :D

RobTu

I wish! I work a 70-80 hour week, have two children and a wife to keep happy and a barn full of cars that need restoring. I'm lucky to get a half day or two a month out on the bike. I've taken to riding late at night and very early in the morning when the family is asleep to try and keep my hand in. You have to just make what time you can find buddy. :D

:eek: Whoa

So there is hope for me yet! That has truly encouraged me...seriously.

Cheers :D

clockworkgazz

crackin looking bike hope I can muster something half as good really love it- and as Si says, you just got to think outside the box and ride when others sleep.

Jeeves

That's a sweet Wicked! Very clean!
Interesting differences from mine - which I bought new from Fat City in 1987, so they should be about the same age:

1) Shimano XT short cage derailleur
2) canti's in the rear, not U brake
3) Handlebar had a permanently applied FAT true temper logo, not the sticker
4) Saddle was the same, but no logo on tip
5) XT pedals

I'm sure these are normal variables. Love the bike...wish mine looked as good. It's a shadow of its former beauty, but still rides wonderfully.

-raj

RobTu

crackin looking bike hope I can muster something half as good really love it- and as Si says, you just got to think outside the box and ride when others sleep.

Thanks gazz :D

Yes, I'm making plans...2010 will be a turnaround year barring anymore injuries.

That's a sweet Wicked! Very clean!
Interesting differences from mine - which I bought new from Fat City in 1987, so they should be about the same age:

1) Shimano XT short cage derailleur
2) canti's in the rear, not U brake
3) Handlebar had a permanently applied FAT true temper logo, not the sticker
4) Saddle was the same, but no logo on tip
5) XT pedals

I'm sure these are normal variables. Love the bike...wish mine looked as good. It's a shadow of its former beauty, but still rides wonderfully.

-raj

Thanks, Raj!

Sounds nice; is it here in the reader's rides? I'll have to look it up. The person I bought it from states it was built with all the bells and whistles, then brought down to him at the bike shop he was managing by Mr. Chance himself. I have no way to verify that, but it's cool if true.

The XT pedals were probably on it, but it came with the early shimano clipless m pedals, so who knows.

RobTu

a few updates (07/16/2010):

black 26.4 IRD seat post

Better condition mid 80's Specialized Ground Control front and rear

1988 Specialized Saddle

Deore XT m730 pedals

Black American Classic Hubs front and rear, built up with Ritchey Vantage Comp rims front and rear

Black American Classic Q/R Seatpost clamp

Black American Classic Q/R skewers (Front and rear)

not quite finished...

DSCN2347.jpg

DSCN2346.jpg

DSCN2345.jpg

DSCN2343.jpg

DSCN2342.jpg

DSCN2340.jpg

DSCN2338.jpg

DSCN2334.jpg

RobTu

Thanks guys!

I had planned to go with a 1988 CBR crankset and stem, but might not.
To be continued...

RobTu

regret selling this one; wish I could get back the seatpost and wheelset, at least :(

Excuse the resurrection of this thread; just glad to have another Wicked in the works- a neon green and black '89 :cool:

dolefee

Hey whats up Rob! Hope all is well with you. I see you've been interested in some of the parts off of the ol' wicked I picked up from you. I can't bear the thought of breaking her up since you put together such a masterpiece in the first place, but IF you're interested in buying back the Wicked, she's all yours. This offer is for you only. She's in the same condition, except that the U-brake is dialed in to stop on a dime and I had added thorn-resistant tubes. Haven't ridden her much, just occasionally around the neighborhood with my kiddos. I am looking for a few parts, maybe we can work something out. Check your pm in a few....thx.