My first Fat Chance

JurT

Hey guys, today I won a Fat Chance Yo Eddy frame on ebay. I was searching for one some time now. Got alot of offers from very beautifull yo's and some with some work on the frame.

The frame I won, was pretty cheap and yes it needs some work. The frame nr is the YO M 1052.

The seller said it has a 1 1/4" headtube size. I thought that the first Yo's had a 1" headtube size and later they got the 1 1/8" size.

Now I will try and restore this frame/bike. It will take some time but in the end it will work out. But where do I find the original decals? Also I am doubting which colour to paint the frame. Not sure if it stays red, but I love the aquafade colours. And since the BOI forks are damn rare I will have to look for another fork. Any suggestions?

Here some pics that where in the ebay auction

jpicard616

I've never heard of a Fat with a 1" 1/4" head tube... but then again there's always the possibility of an anomaly. The New York ones usually have 1" 1/8" head tubes.

Nice score! I think I have a few parts laying around for that frame including a headset (I forget what brand). I personally think you should simply get a front shock appropriate in price range for you. I love the rigid fork, but I just find the shock rides better for my hands and shoulders! hahaha. The decals can be purchased from ebay too I recall. I like the aqua fade paint too.....it's yours now....make it what you want. Good luck with the rebuild.

tvcreative

i have a 98 with a rigid fork and a 99 YO with shock

They really do ride out of this world with a shock, i put a slightly older FOX with 80mm travel on it - and rides like a billy goat on crack. fast and fun. Just remember you don't wanna go too long on the shock overall length...

Last edited:

JurT

Thanks for your answers guys.

I got a few forks here. I have a 1" rock shox indy, a 1 1/8" rock shox judy, a defect rock shox mag 21 and cannondale p-bone fork.

I think I will paint it in the aquafade colours, put a green Chris King headset on it and put my blue kooka brake levers on it. Also I have some xtr m952 parts here.

But what size front derailleur will the frame have? And the size of seatpost and seatpost clamp?

Retro Dude

Front Der. = 1 1/4 (32mm)

Seatpost = 29.4mm

Seatpost Clamp = 1 1/4 (32mm)

I agree with putting a suspension fork on it. I rode my Yo with a BOI last summer and had problems with my thumbs at the end of the summer. No problems this year on the Ti with a '98 Sid.

Go with a Judy XC or SL, they won't affect the steering too much.

Spikes

Those Saratoga, NY frames did indeed have a 1 1/8" head tube. As for paint and decals: why don't you contact Keith Anderson? He did some frames for me and his paintwork is flawless. He will be able to help you with the decals as well and he is a great guy.

Kirk Pacenti

Those Saratoga, NY frames did indeed have a 1 1/8" head tube. As for paint and decals: why don't you contact Keith Anderson? He did some frames for me and his paintwork is flawless. He will be able to help you with the decals as well and he is a great guy.

I'll second the recommendation for Keith Anderson, great painter!

Cheers,
KP