Another Wicked Commuter

jcons

This is my '87 Wicked, currently being used as a commuter, with fenders and slicks. It's not in the least period correct. Has a very idiosyncratic and eclectic build. Nitto track stem, On-One Mary Bars, Cook Bros. crank, Brooks saddle, IRD brakes, Mavic wheels, Suntour XC pro rear derailleur. XC expert front, Accushift shifters..

It's in great shape. I touched up a few of the chips and scratches (advantage of a black frame).

Sorry for the low quality of the pics. I'm currently short a reasonable camera...

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 48

MikeyNYC

This is my '87 Wicked, currently being used as a commuter, with fenders and slicks. It's not in the least period correct. Has a very idiosyncratic and eclectic build. Nitto track stem, On-One Mary Bars, Cook Bros. crank, Brooks saddle, IRD brakes, Mavic wheels, Suntour XC pro rear derailleur. XC expert front, Accushift shifters..

It's in great shape. I touched up a few of the chips and scratches (advantage of a black frame).

Sorry for the low quality of the pics. I'm currently short a reasonable camera...

That's pretty cool looking!

bonsaii

Like it!

I like it! Looks really cool, like an old cruiser!

With larger tyres you would'nt the stuck in the tram tracks! ;)

Nice!!

-bons

Jeeves

Sweet ride!
That's a perfect ride for Ithaca, except you need snow tires! A triple front ring would certainly be helpful for riding up Buffalo!
The angles on that bike look just right - I bet that's a sweet commuter.

I was close to making my wicked a commuter, but I didn't like the idea of exposing it to the elements...I wanted to use a lesser bike...like a yeti. ... har har.

jcons

Nice for Ithaca indeed

Sweet ride!
That's a perfect ride for Ithaca, except you need snow tires! A triple front ring would certainly be helpful for riding up Buffalo!
The angles on that bike look just right - I bet that's a sweet commuter.

I was close to making my wicked a commuter, but I didn't like the idea of exposing it to the elements...I wanted to use a lesser bike...like a yeti. ... har har.

Thanks! Yeah, snow tires are necessary for the winter indeed. I'll have to remove the fenders before swapping them in, I think.

I've got a triple in front, but I have to say, Buffalo still kills me. That thing just keeps going and going... You sound like you know the town well.

Last edited:

Jeeves

The more I look at that bike, the more I flippin' love it. Lemme know if you ever want to let it go! ha ha, long shot, but worth a try.

Yeah, spent a summer in Ithaca with my Wicked. Did tons of riding out and about around Ithaca. The fun thing about riding Buffalo is going DOWN - you can actually get air when you come off the cross streets.

jcons

The more I look at that bike, the more I flippin' love it. Lemme know if you ever want to let it go! ha ha, long shot, but worth a try.

Yeah, spent a summer in Ithaca with my Wicked. Did tons of riding out and about around Ithaca. The fun thing about riding Buffalo is going DOWN - you can actually get air when you come off the cross streets.

Thanks. I'm hanging on tight for now, but if i change my mind, let me know. Give me a shout if you're ever back on town. You're welcome to take it for a spin...

ozcanuck

Very nice....I recently went to a 2" 700mm wide Blackspire riserbar on my Wicked...I call it the Longhorn now!!....considered the Mary bar, but it was $100. The higher bar gives me a better view on my commute and when pulling daughter around in the trailer and relieves neck strain from the original race face setup. You ceratinly have complete control with such wide bars too.
I felt abit bad doing it though, the original setup looked very racey and was great for headdown serious training and hillclimbing.
Might have to save up for the Mary's though, looks cool.
The Wicked is so solid to ride, corners like it's on rails...the best.