FAT road bike

fat-munter

Does anyone else own a Fat Chance road bike? Mine seems to be a rare beast, no pics I'm afraid as I haven't got a camera. Mine's a '93/4 Slim Chance I think in 'cosmic dust fade'. I say 'I think' because it's got a Buck Shaver head tube decal and the yellow outlined FAT CHANCE down tube and seat tube decals. It's built from Columbus TSX tubing, Campag dropouts and has a unicrown fork, unlike the later Chris Chance road frames which were True Temper with a Yo Eddy style fork crown. The bike was bought 2nd hand from Bromley Bike when it was a couple of years old, and was apparently used by Dave Hemming when he was their team rider in '94. This was the only FAT road bike Bromley Bike imported. It's still in good condition, but the Cook Bros cranks, Syncros stem and pewter Ringle hubs and seat post have all long since snapped and become bin fodder.
It looks like I might have another of Fat Chances 'mix n match' frames!

Iain

scant

hi

I've never seen a FAT road bike in the UK, so the bromley storys believeable (unless people imported their own, which is possible!)

shame you binned all those old skool parts even if they were broken :(

rick

Slim Chance

I would definitely like to see a picture of your Slim , never have seen one in that color. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one with a fade paint job.
I have a Wicked Lite in Cosmic Dust Fade, and at first I did not like the color and considered repainting the bike, but now I like it very much.

Is it possible that your decals were replaced at one time or is that the way the bike came originally? Is there clear coat over the decals?
My Slim Chance is in Team Violet, TSX tubing, and it also has the unicrown fork. A great bike but the Yo road fork is much cooler.

fat-munter

Rick, I did wonder if the frame had been resprayed at some time, but Mark at Bromley Bike assures me that this is how he imported it. The decals are all lacquered over except for the Columbus ones on the frame and fork. I will try to borrow a camera and try to work out how to post pictures.

Iain

Wm. L.

Chris Chance road frame.

I have what is supposedly (was told by Chris and Wendyll) the first Chris Chance model with road-type Yo fork (post Slim) that was not an employee's.

Mountain Goat

I only know of 2 other Slim Chances in the UK I have one (imported) and a guy in Cheshire has the other.....Dave Hemming now there's a name from the past.........The Bromley story sounds very true to me. Mines a '92 and has TSX tubing.

(When I get round to It I'll post some pictures I currently have over 24 Fats, Kleins, Yeti's, Oranges, TREK's, Bonties, Raleighs and an original Muddy Fox Courier (where it all started in the UK) in different states of build).

You rarely see them for sale I dont think the production runs were very big as the world had been gripped by Mountian Bike Fever.......I know Chris Chance made road bikes since 1977 and I'd love to get hold of a really early pre fat city model, but I've scowered the world and nevr found one yet.

The Slim Chance is cool though, I do a lot of road work (compliments my off road) and its the best bike I have ridden with the exception of the TREK OCLV but thats a different story.

laffeaux

Here's a pic of my 58cm Chris Chance. I've swapped out the stem for a Salsa quill stem, but otherwise it still looks like this.

laffeaux_001.jpg

FESTUS

SLIM CHANCE

Hi ,i'm new to this site..this is great!!!!..can anybody tell me what years the slim was made? and when did chris stop putting the press in b.b. in the the road bikes.Anybody interested in a mid atlantic FAT gathering?

bcplouffe

I've owned two Slim Chance road bikes. I purchased the first one in 1996. I was hit by a car on that bike-the fork was bent, but the insurance company insisted it was totalled and replaced it with a new one. I kept the original Slim, had the fork straightened, and it was as good as new.
The insurance company Slim was sold last year to someone in the UK. Was Sapphire Fade.
The original Slim was recently repainted and is currently being built up into an awesome fixed gear bike.

rick

mid-Atlantic get together?

First Flight's swap meet is a good excuse for a get together, but the next one is quite a ways off.
Like most other folks I don't have much extra time, but I would definitely consider making time to oogle Fats and maybe do a bit of riding.
I'm in NC, where are you?