salvage bottom bracket?

fat-d

Hi folks,

I have a used, original bottom bracket from a Wicked that I would like to clean up and put in a different Wicked. It is missing one of the bearing snap rings, and on each bearing the inner orange seal has been pried off (you can just see the exposed bearings out of focus on the top of the picture).

Anyone know where I can find a new snap ring to fit that bearing? Is it possible to put new seals in these bearings, or are they shot once the seals are removed?

Thanks.

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 19

rody

Fat-d,

I hate to see a post languish without a response so I'll give you all 2 cents worth of my opinion.

Sealed bearings have excellent logevity as long as they stay intact. Once they become compromised, they tend to fail quickly.

In the case of your bearings, you would be better off buying new sealed bearings and forgetting about them than trying to clean and repack, source shields, and put it all back together in a tight package.

While the retaining ring simply insures the bearings are pressed in the same amount / tight installation to the frame, it's not necessary. Just be very careful pressing in the bearings SLOWLY so that you can achieve even installation side to side.

cheers,

rody

rick

bb bearings

bearings with an external lock ring are not uncommon in various applications. check with your local bearing house, they should be able to set you up.

I have purchased many bearings there for my various Fats...

Jack Lantern

I got this info from a previous thread and hope it helps you out as it did me. I was refered to bearingsdirect.com and the model number of 99502 in their database. They come with the correct snap ring already in place on both bearings and are a dead on match. I got a set for my 88 Wicked and they went right in perfectly. Hope that helps...

fat-d

Thanks very much guys, great advice. Jack L, thanks for the link and part number. I went ahead and ordered a set of bearings from them.
biggrin.gif

jamezilla

Fit?

Just curious if anyone else has tried these out? Suitable bearings are going on ebay for ~$50 which is substantially more expensive than the part below. Just wondering how the quality compares.

Is this the correct part?
http://tinyurl.com/zucsn

fat-d

6202 NR - $6.15
SIZE: ID:15mm x OD:35mm x W:11mm

99502H - $4.75
SIZE ID:5/8 x OD:1 3/8 x W:11mm
(add "NR" option for snap ring - $1.89 extra)

99502HNR should be the right one (choose "snap ring installed" from drop-down menu). I screwed up and ordered 6202NR. The inside diameter is too small - the spindle can't fit inside.

I suspect the guys selling bearings on ebay are buying them from suppliers like this and reselling on ebay.