20 years is a long time to ride the same bike

aspenvelo

I live by a great LBS and got a high five from the owner when I first dragged my old Wicked. I knew I was in the right place. Fast forward 2 years and I've got some money for a new bike. I've been researching nonstop FS, Trail, XC, hard tail and its fun but overwhelming as well. Like I said, 20 years is a long time to ride the same bike!

I feel like I stepped out of a time machine. After talking to the shop owner a while we finally landed on a Kona Explosif. He explained that in all practical purposes the Explosif was a logical evolution of a 1990 rigid Fat City. He definitely had my attention. I love my bike. I love that the brakes don't stop on a dime. Or that I can't fjord that creek or climb that steep pitch with 26 inch wheels. I love that riding it brings me back 20 years when I could bunny hop over the occasional log in the path.

He said its all about riding for the smiles. At the end of the day it is. Anyone hear about this Kona? I'm nervous and that bike is still is a lot of money. But it is time for a new bike and for new smiles. :beer:

tvcreative

Kona looks like a solid bike

steel, fancy slider, hard core no frills components

it is MASS PRODUCED vs handmade FAT

but lots of features…650b right?

definitely the real deal

mainlyfats

You could get a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 for $100-$200 more. No question that that would be my pick. An Ibis Ripley or Mojo if you had more to spend.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the equivalent to your Wicked if I were looking for something new, I'd look up the evolutionary chain a bit. A well tested and thought out, modern full suspension bike will make you grin from ear to ear on the trail - guaranteed.

chainline

Modern

Have you taken a look at Niners SIR 9 ? Hand made overseas. 853 tube set and an ebb. I'm not a big fan of sliding dropouts. Not a big fan of wheelbase changes. And IMO not as stiff. The SIR 9 is Worth a look for anyone coming off an old hardtail.do it once and build it the way you want.

tvcreative

when you start getting into the 2K range, then I say save up and buy top end

especially when there are ton of high end bikes that people want short money for...

I have a Moots MootoX which i just love as a hard tail 29er, I run a niner fork.

I bought built every thing new/used on it, for less than 3K

I picked up a sycip 650b single speed just for shiz and giggles, but i have yet to build a wheel set.

anyone ridden any hours on 650b?

chefmiguel

Had 650b wheels on my 1x1 not that big of an adjustment as far as wheel siZe (regarding bb height etc) just keep wheel size in mind when picking gear combo. I didn't choose wisely I went 36x18 and it was a bit overgeared.

MTB Mania

20 years is a long time to ride the same bike!

:beer:

Congrats on a new chapter for you! Spec'ing out a new bike is always a fun experience. In my opinion, the only technological advancement worth having on a modern mtb is the bigger wheel size. Other than that, the wicked is still where its at! ;)
Cheers!

IF52

especially when there are ton of high end bikes that people want short money for...

I have a Moots MootoX which i just love as a hard tail 29er, I run a niner fork.

I picked up a sycip 650b single speed just for shiz and giggles, but i have yet to build a wheel set.

I've been riding 650b for a few years now. I also ride 29er and while I like that wheel size a lot, the 650b bike I ride now is just more fun on the tighter trails around NEOhio.

I won't go back to 26er.

I think if your current primary ride is 26er you'll notice the difference riding 650b. Heading the other way though, you may take more convincing if your coming off 29er and dropping down to 650b.

aspenvelo

Good stuff everyone thanks -

Researching has been fun and I've learned a lot. In my 40s now I have to take it easy - more XC oriented. My backside was asking for FS but I couldn't get into the smooshy feeling, extra weight, settings and maintenance. I went with a superfly comp carbon hardtail 29er that was $1400 off list. I couldn't pass up getting into a carbon frame for that kind of deal. I hated to go with mass produced bike but in 20 years I think Trek might be around in case the frame breaks.

I've never had a shock! It makes me want to bunny hop. Do they still call it that?

Last edited:

fiatjeepdriver

My race bike is a 650b (jamis nemesis) and I have around 1,500 miles on it. To me it feels like a 26+. The bike handles reasonably quick but still rolls over things better than a 26". That said I've never really ridden a 29er so I can't compare it to one of those. I plan on sticking with 650b and will probably replace it next year with something nicer (ritchey p650, focus raven, waltworks, desalvo, 44bikes, or land shark)

tvcreative

squishy bikes are way fun…less about technique and more about confidence inspired thrashing -- rolling over crap that would have beat you and tossed you into a pulp on an old hard tail.

the weight thing sorta bugs me… but i can look the other way with the rumblin' bumblin' all out speed the bike provides

my other 29er is an Ellsworth evolve…

by the way there isn't that much maintenance