• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

1996 Fat Chance Ti size M frame

fatcitycyclist

Ok
Its with a heavy heart that a I must sell my beloved Fat Ti frame that I've had since new. I would love to keep her but financial problems have forced my hand.

condition - no dents or cracks, threads are clear, tooth picks are attached, decals are a little beat but I will include a set of repro decals. 1 x Brake boss isnt original and there is no bolt for the scratched seat clamp.

Specs - TFM1059 size Medium Saratoga made 1.1/8"

Price - $999 or £666 ono

147.jpg

146.jpg

149.jpg

148.jpg

150.jpg

mtbmaniac

Ok
Its with a heavy heart that a I must sell my beloved Fat Ti frame that I've had since new. I would love to keep her but financial problems have forced my hand.

condition - no dents or cracks, threads are clear, tooth picks are attached, decals are a little beat but I will include a set of repro decals. 1 x Brake boss isnt original and there is no bolt for the scratched seat clamp.

Specs - TFM1059 size Medium Saratoga made 1.1/8"

Price - $999 or £666 ono

Fantastic looking frame, you have PM.

nader

yeah this is a nice frame.
Here you can see how the welding technology has improved over time in FCC.
The weld seams are not comparable with models from previous years.

tvcreative

Not sure about the weld seam comment.

but I am mopping up the drool from envy - for the lucky guy who just bought this piece of MTB history....

AS far as weld seam superiority, MOOTS has got to be one of the nicest fabricators of Ti I have seen - and I have owned quite a few. Merlin, Seven, Ibis, Eriksen, Serotta, Kish, Blacksheep and Indy Fab...

Steve Potts has nice mindblowing work too.

mtbmaniac

Nice welds are... well, nice... if our primary concern is looks. But Fat was in front when it comes to making functional high-performance titanium frames, e.g. a design that were not like riding a wet noodle, with a rigid bottom bracket area. I love that kind of engineering and pioneering, and hold that above cosmetic features.

I-ROBOT

First - let me say that I have never actually seen a NY-built FAT TI frame in person so I am not completely qualified to comment on their work. I can only say for myself that TI had a learning curve for us in Somerville since nobody that worked at FCC ever worked for Merlin. The early models ie, 1991, 1992 definitely had some rough spots compared to the refinements made in the 1993 and 1994 models - both in frame tube design and weld quality.
I know the NY guys had been making titanium Serottas for a while so I'm sure they actually had more experience starting out on Fats that I had.
From the photos I've seen, it appears that they were quite capable of producing welds that would meet Chris's standards as well as my own but comparing NY welds to Somerville welds is a bit like the apples and oranges analogy.
I'm glad you guys like the bikes that came out of each shop and I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to prefer one over the other, whatever they may be.
If I was in their place, at least at first, I would have been a bit resentful when I was told that I would be welding another brand of bike frame instead of (or in addition to) the brand that I worked so hard to help cultivate and bring to prominence.
Just my two pennies
Scott

nader

Scott thanks for your qualified comments.

... that TI had a learning curve for us in Somerville...
that's what I meant.

I didn't want to start any discussion here in the sales thread. Unfortunately I have no ti fat but according to the pics I've seen so far, the early models had very poor weld seams.

fatcitycyclist

Really appreciate all the views and comments of what was my pride and joy since new. I am really sad to see it go, but financial reasons have forced my hand.
I had originally owned a sommerville Fat Ti but sadly it cracked around where the BB shell meets the seat tube and was sent this as a warranty replacement. To be honest they were both amazing to ride, a ride that personally has never been bettered. I had never considered comparing the two, I'm just proud to have been part of the family, as we all are.
Maybe one day I will be back looking in the sale section myself, until then I wish everybody my very best.

MikeyNYC

I've had both Somerville and NY Ti Fats and both are really nice but my NY made one which I like the best does seem to be of a higher quality than some of the older ones I've had...The welds are just cleaner, the tubing seems nicer and I personally prefer the standard seat stays to the mono-stay design.