Should I part it out?

matt trakker

You guys have probably seen the bike I've had listed for sale here and on CL already, the black Buck Shaver, lol.

Someone is interested in the bike for the frame alone to build up as a single speed, and made me a decent offer on it. I could also hang onto some of if not all the parts. I know that the frame is the main valuable item of the bike, but I'm certain that all of it's other components, some pretty desirable, are original to when this bike was first built up.

What I'm wondering is, would this be like desecrating the bike because it's in such nice original shape? Should I hold out? I'm leaning toward selling it, I kinda need the money and could sell parts on eBay easily, but I don't want to screw myself either. And it hurts me to take apart such a nice looking bike.
I haven't listed it on eBay as a whole yet (even though I do a lot of eBay sales) because I'm timid about bothering with shipping it and all that.

colker

You guys have probably seen the bike I've had listed for sale here and on CL already, the black Buck Shaver, lol.

Someone is interested in the bike for the frame alone to build up as a single speed, and made me a decent offer on it. I could also hang onto some of if not all the parts. I know that the frame is the main valuable item of the bike, but I'm certain that all of it's other components, some pretty desirable, are original to when this bike was first built up.

What I'm wondering is, would this be like desecrating the bike because it's in such nice original shape? Should I hold out? I'm leaning toward selling it, I kinda need the money and could sell parts on eBay easily, but I don't want to screw myself either. And it hurts me to take apart such a nice looking bike.
I haven't listed it on eBay as a whole yet (even though I do a lot of eBay sales) because I'm timid about bothering with shipping it and all that.

i don't see any problem in you parting it out.
it's a mishmash of nice parts that have a life of their own. like the 1in steerer manitou, the salsa stem or the flite saddle.
the uno post otoh or the LX derr. are not so desired, as good as they are.

matt trakker

i don't see any problem in you parting it out.
it's a mishmash of nice parts that have a life of their own. like the 1in steerer manitou, the salsa stem or the flite saddle.
the uno post otoh or the LX derr. are not so desired, as good as they are.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

That's how I viewed this bike- It kind of looks like someone had a bunch of cool parts kicking around at the time and tossed them together.

I listed it on eBay tonight to see what happens, if it doesn't sell, I'll probably disassemble the bike.

AB

I have to agree with colker. Generally I'm against parting out nice older bikes, but see no reason at this point not to. Some ebay sellers seem to make a living at it.

DC

Those Sampson parts are not everyday items, I bet you could get a nice price from someone for the cranks and wheelset from someone. With the other parts mentioned by colker, plus a clean BS frame, I think you would do better money wise parting it out if you are willing to put in the work involved.

IF52

Part it. I personally would much rather pick up a frame or frame and fork and piece it together than pick up a complete bike. It might take longer to make a rider that way, but I'd feel better about what I put on the bike.

Besides, Flav needs that stem ;)

Side note, and I know I have mentioned this before, but I think the majority of the Bucks we sold, and we sold plenty, went out the door with LX or STX rear derailleurs.

matt trakker

Nice, I guess the consensus is what I expected...:D I'm definitely a novice at this but I knew the fork and the crank were worth something. I can understand someone wanting to make one of these bikes more unique to their tastes.

I'm split as to whether I should let my eBay auction run it's course or not now. Maybe I will for the hell of it, if someone bids then I might have lost a little bit of overall profit after parting out the bike, but at least I won't have to go through the hassle and whatnot. It's listed as pickup only so I'm sure it will be a little harder to sell, but there are a lot of people watching the auction.

matt trakker

Fortunately, I found a buyer happy with the bike in it's complete form and didn't even have to ship it.:D

Thanks for all the info guys, now I'm on the hunt for another one!

AB

Glad to hear that your patience paid off and worked out for the best. Good luck in your new search.