Got one!

Doug Carter

Staff member
Ok, so my search wasn't as exhausting as it could have been, but I found a Fat last night.

I have been scouring the web in search of a frameset that was priced right and sized right. This last Friday, I stumbled onto a aqua fade Yo in M/L and sent out an e-mail to find out if it was still for sale. I had been holding my breath waiting to hear from the seller.

I still haven't heard anything.

In the meantime, checking eBay almost hourly for something new, I found an auction that had just been posted. It was a '92 Wicked Lite with no size info and some odd descriptions. The funny thing is that it was a complete bike with maybe 20 miles on it. The bike is XT 8-speed with a new threaded Rock Shox Mag 21 painted to match the non-factory color. Had to be one of those odd factory custom sprays. It is a purplish titanium color and is pretty much in NOS condition, right down to the Panaracer Smoke/Dart tire combo.

The best part was that it had a Buy It Now tag on it. So... I bought it. I'm thrilled to have another Fat, and even if this bike isn't exactly what I was searching for, it will hold me over and give me something to ride. I may even part out the gruppo and re-spec everything with my old purple parts.

FYI, the guy had two bikes for sale; a his and hers pair of Fats that had not been ridden hardly at all. It's amazing how lazy people have become, but I won't get into my feelings about fat American society and no-carb fad diets. ;) Anyway, there is still a spit-clean perfect 16.5" Buckshaver out there, if you haven't seen it already. It'd make a nice addition to anyone's collection of Somerville Fats.

Pics in a bit...

d

Doug Carter

Staff member
Wouldn't ya know it, just as I was making arrangements on this Wicked, the owner of the Yo wrote me back to let me know it is still for sale. It is identical to the bike I had in '95 except for color. I'm stumped now, because, while I love these bikes, I don't know if I need two of them at the moment (though the idea of having a Sommerville Wicked and Fat os really appealing).

I may buy them both and sell off whatever isn't in the big picture right now. Good grief, how did I do this? :? :oops:

Anyway, here is a pic of the gunmetal 18" Wicked that is now on its way...

wickedlite.jpg

Mojo Troll

SWEEEEEET Doug!

Congrats!!! Good to see you'll soon be able to throw a leg over a Fat again. Be prepared to be reborn my friend :lol:

Seeing how the Wicked is on the way, you can't change that. If you could grab up the Yo as well, without being strapped for cash. I'd say go for it! You could always sell one in the future, or better yet. Replace the parts you don't like and sell the unwanted parts. Lots of variables here. Mix and match baby!

Also, you said you need a M/L frame. The pic of the Wicked states its a M. By the looks of the length on the steer tube. I'd say it was a M.

HUMMMM decessions, decessions......

Yo Eddy!

Great buy!

Doug,

Just remember the Roller saying. :wink:

For a guy like me, who has 8 bikes(+2 normal Dutch bikes), storage is always often the main problem. That could be a consideration to?

If that isn

scant

nice!

plenty of room @ my place if you want to stock up on FATs doug :)

it'll be interesting to note the difference in ride between the Yo & the wicked. well its an excuse anyway ;D

yo' djblu

CONGRATS!

This is great news! I would get the Yo' in a blink of an eye if I were you. A summerville yo' tru perfection! You have done suach a great thing here creating this little nook of the web for us CRAZY people who cant get enough fat stuff in our world. You deserve it GET THE YO'! :D

Karl

Doug, sounds GREAT, mo Fats-mo better, anyway if you can swing it I'd go for both. I saw the pair on E-bay and must admit it was tempting but alas I prefer the ride of the Yo over the Wicked (both are sweet tho).

Godd Luck !!
Karl

Doug Carter

Staff member
Well, this thing finally is set to arrive tomorrow. Needless to say, I can't wait. I'm anxious to see exactly what shape everything is in. I really am itching to get back on a bike...

I'll post more pics once it arrives.

BTW, I decided to only swing for the Wicked. The Yo! was nice, and in one of my favorite color combos, but it was a second generation frame, and wasn't what I wanted to spend money on just now. I am holding out for a Slim Chance. :D

Mountain Goat

You dont need two, you need more........how can you have too many fats.

If you look on ebay.com there is a Chris Chance (late 90's) model for sale 58cm.......not the most original but a fine example......Does anybody know how many road bike fat city made a year, I believe it was a real low quantity??? You certainly dont see them very often.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.