phil wood bb install : a tight fit

mr.trout

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has had any difficulties in installing a phil wood bottom bracket.
The spindle is 17mm and the ID of the bearing is 17mm, which makes it pretty difficult to gently tap it in. The first set of bearings I installed a few months ago have already begun to bind because, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the force I had to use in order to set it. I have a new set of bearings on the way and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jmraspa

Bearing Install

I had to install a new pressfit BB setup on a customer's bike about a month ago. Had extra collars sent to me via GroovyCycleWorks (milled to 17mm, thanks!). I pressed the first bearing in, and tapped as much of the spindle through as I could. Then I put a stack of large spacers over the protruding bearing, and installed the crank.

The trick is to use the spacers pushing against the crank to pull the spindle through. Lots of grease on the spindle helps.

Once I had the first bearing installed, I set the second one on the opposite side of the spindle, and tapped it in a little to get it seated straight. Be careful here, otherwise it will seat crooked, and not last as long!

Then I found a large socket (I forget the size, but get it as close to the OD of the bearing as you can), and gently tapped the second bearing in. It takes a long time, but be patient, and you'll get it in.

I wouldn't say you have to run the collars too, because the bearing fit is so tight. But you could get something machined pretty cheaply from a local machinist that would work fine. Important thing is they've got to close down to at least 16.9mm to get a good hold on the BB spindle. A pinch bolt is much better than a set screw any day also!

It was a large bill for the customer (little over $200, with parts and labor) but he was so excited we got his bike rolling again! Rode it around, and said it felt better than it had in years! The Phil bearings make a huge difference! Totally worth it in my professional opinion :)

Bssc

get a 6" threaded rod 1/2 pitch and thee nuts and some large washer that are bigger then the bearings

lock two nuts together on one end of the rod
prep bearings with retaining compound and hand install them in the BB shell then put the rod in with the washers fixed end away from you put on last nut and thread it on to push in the bearing do not go to tight just snug

next install the axle tap it in gently leave the drive side long , now install a locking collar loose then install your crank, now adjust your chain line and lock down the collar when right finish the other side installs and you are good to go