yo eddy x wicked. what am i missing?

colker

i have a wicked and love it. i ride it where ruts, steps, stairs, slow technical lines are the norm. i am 5 9" and my wicked is 18in. what am i missing by not riding a yo eddy? i don't even know if my size should be a medium or a small/medium on a yo.

Spikes

I you like your Wicked that much, I don't think you'll miss much buying a Yo! By the way, how is that fork doing? Could you post a picture of it mounted? Cheers!

colker

I you like your Wicked that much, I don't think you'll miss much buying a Yo! By the way, how is that fork doing? Could you post a picture of it mounted? Cheers!

the fork is great!

Attachments

• wickedpaulside.jpg
    wickedpaulside.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 71
  • wickedfrentepaul.jpg
    wickedfrentepaul.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37

colker

btw... the handling is unbelievably surefooted and precise. i wish i had that bike all these years. i can try things w/her i won't dare w/others.

lucifer

To me the wicked is more representative of classic mountain geometry with slightly shorter top tubes and longer seat tubes. I think they also have slightly longer chainstays. Whereas the yos monsters and bucks are longer and lower in the front triangle and shorter and stiffer in the rear.
I know you and I have discussed this topic before so its probably no real news to you that I am not the yo's biggest fan. I think they are fine bikes but I prefer buckshavers for a couple of reasons. The biggest one is that the smaller diameter tubing and wisbone rear end make it more compliant than the yo. The other is that the smaller diameter somewhat heavier tubing also makes them more resistant to dings, especially in the front triangle.
I think the yo is perfect for heavier very strong racer types who need the extra stiffness, but that ain't me.

If you are happy with your wicked then chances are a yo would be a waste of money. Save that money and get something more interesting. Like a fat ti, a merlin, or a ti mojo.

colker

the buckshaver would be perfect if it had a small/medium in their sizing. i have a mojo, a small. it's a wonderfull bike but i like the wicked better on technical riding. the mojo is perfect on fast singletrack. thing is i am in between sizes w/ibis. a small medium fat is exactly my size.

fat-tony

Staff member
thing is i am in between sizes w/ibis. a small medium fat is exactly my size.

Colker, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what is your inseam length? (and no, I am not asking you out on a date). Yo sizing has always been a little funking science to me.

Last edited:

colker

Colker, if you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what is your inseam length? (and no, I am not asking you out of a date). Yo sizing has always been a little funking science to me.

i am 5.9 and inseam is 32in. i"could" ride either a medium or small medium. better size mtbs on the small side.
the yo large diameter seat tube means it's made to be ridden w/ long extensions of seatpost out in the wind.
a 18in wicked has a 22.25 top tube. a small medium yo which is a 16.5 c-t, has a 22.6 top tube. the shorter chainstays and shorter rake fork lead to a shorter wheelbase on the yo. it has a longer reach but it's a smaller bike.
yup, it's a complex sizing situation.

lucifer

i am 5.9 and inseam is 32in. i"could" ride either a medium or small medium. better size mtbs on the small side.
the yo large diameter seat tube means it's made to be ridden w/ long extensions of seatpost out in the wind.
a 18in wicked has a 22.25 top tube. a small medium yo which is a 16.5 c-t, has a 22.6 top tube. the shorter chainstays and shorter rake fork lead to a shorter wheelbase on the yo. it has a longer reach but it's a smaller bike.

So basically a medium is too long for you?
That sucks because s/m frames are pretty rare as I am sure you have discovered. They only come up a few times a year if at all.

colker

So basically a medium is too long for you?
That sucks because s/m frames are pretty rare as I am sure you have discovered. They only come up a few times a year if at all.

i don't know.. i had an 18.5in obed and it was too big. i don't miss more bike when i am on technical singletrack riding the small mojo or the wicked. the 29.4 seatpost begs for a 9in or more of post showing. i could ride a medium but a small/medium would be the bike to have for technical singletrack.
a bontrager medium, a 17.5 merlin .. those are perfect for me. a s/m fat has the same top tube as a bonty medium: 22.6.
i have seen a couple s/m from saratoga this year. funny is both were described as "small" but i could see they were s/m. when i thought of buying a fat in 1997, i talked on the phone w/ cambria and the seller told me is hould ride a small/medium.

bruce t

Hey Colker,

Sizewise, I don't know either. I have the same size Wicked as you do (I think -- 18"C-C, 19.5 C-T), and have ridden it for fifteen years, love it to death. It is great on twisty, rocky single-track (we have lots of it in New England). I'm about the same size as you are, and love my Wicked.

I just built a 17" (M) Buck Shave at the tail end of last year, and don't really have it dialed in yet. It still doesn't feel as homey as the larger Wicked. Feels a little squirrelly. But I also need to put a friction shifter on the front derailleur, as the indexed Rapidfire thingy rubs badly on the middle chainring. So far, the Wicked is the winner!

Cheers, bt

ChiefBroom

[snip]

I have 33.3" inseam, and am 5' 10 1/4". Arm and torso length ("corrected", whatever that means) 47.2".

Standover height on a Medium Yo Eddy is 29.75., 28.5 on a S/M. My
stuff says a 18" Wicked has 30" standover while a 16.5" is 29".

I remember I was between M and M/L on the Yo. The system the shop used recommended 30" straddle height. The M was a little looser, and they had a Aquamarine Fade in stock that I wanted. I'm pretty sure it was the best choice for me, so I'd guess yours might be M/L by a hair.

I can't compare my bike to any other Fat. I just know when I finally rode it, it was night and day. The bike at the top of my list before I got to the Yo was a Specialized S Works. The Yo shamed it. It was almost an instantaneous impression. It was just totally there. I used to chase cows a little. There's nothing like working with a good quarterhorse that you're totally in synch with -- one that's cow-smart and anticipates every move. That's what came into my head when I took off on the Yo. Whatever I wanted to do, it was there. Sometime ahead of me. I've never quite been able to keep up with it. And it's aging better than I am.

ChiefBroom

I have 33.3" inseam, and am 5' 10 1/4". Arm and torso length ("corrected", whatever that means) 47.2".

Standover height on a Medium Yo Eddy is 29.75., 28.5 on a S/M. My
stuff says a 18" Wicked has 30" standover while a 16.5" is 29".

I remember I was between M and M/L on the Yo. The system the shop used recommended 30" straddle height.

You're right; it is complex. I just noticed that the top tube length on my Medium Yo is slightly outside the range suggested from the fitting I had done when I got it. Not enough to matter for me, but it might be for you.