wicked repaint, r & r bb advice

rockychrysler

howdy folks. i'm a new member of this forum, so please forgive me if i haven't found the FAQ or thread that already answers this predictably common question...

i've restored a number of vintage mountain bikes over the years and i've just scored my first fat... an early 90s(?) wicked (serial on the bb shell is in the 08000s). anyway, the paint is toast but the frame is relatively solid. i intend to get it powdercoated IF i can determine what the correct course of action is when it comes to removing and replacing the bottom bracket assembly. it's obviously a press-fit sealed bearing job. it seems that there are few options for non-stock replacement (mavic 610 and stronglight jp 1000 "floating" bbs being the only options i can google). what other options do i have? can i successfully extricate the press-fit bb assembly and replace it using regular shop tools? are the bearings a standard size that can be found at any good tool shop? are there other options, sources, solutions that users of this forum are aware of or experienced with that a decent bike mechanic type might be able to muster?

i was thrilled to stumble across this group on rec.bicycle.tech; i'm hopeful i'm asking an age old fat-chance question and that y'all will have a good answer or two.

johncoe

scant

fairly certain wendyl still has some BB supplies. tho the bearings are a fairly standard size & the axles are still available through action tec & a few others.

in a rush, or I wouldnt be so vague! Be yeh its all do-able :)

Grant/ now curlys 91 yo eddy had a press fit BB, thats since been tapped for normal BB. I didnt realise this was possible. ask a frame builder if its a (more priccy) route you'd consider.

rick

Bottom Bracket

Adding a little to what Scant shared, the BB bearings and spindle are actually quite easy to remove and replace.

Assuming that you still have all of the parts, there should be two "lockrings" on the spindle with tiny hex head set screws in them. I forget the size of the screw, but it is a standard. After loosening the screws and removing the lockrings, you can tap the spindle out, through the bearings.
Now that only the bearings are in the BB shell, you can tap them out with a hammer and punch. Put the punch through the left side bearing to access the right side bearing, and vice versa.

As Scant said these bearings are available through your local bearing house. The only thing really special about them is the external lock ring that prevents them from going too far into the BB shell. This type of bearing is still used in electric motors, so we are in luck.
The lockrings should also be available from the same place, or a large industrial supply house (McMaster Carr, Graingers).

Replacing is basically a reverse of removal, you might want to have your LBS press the bearings in rather tan tapping them in with a hammer. I have used both methods and also bult a cheap "press" using threaded rod, nuts and large washers.

The spindles originally came in three lengths. Wendyll may still have spindles, bearings and lockrings (or whatever they are called).

Hope this helps, welcome to the group.

rick

rockychrysler

thx!

excellent advice. just what i needed. y'all are awewsome. i'll let you know how this project turns out.

but who is this wendyl?

scant

wendyl was 1/3 of FAT & chris's ex.( I think thats a polite way of phrasing it? I hope) I'm hoping to meet wendyl later this year, getting the red carpet ready :D

wickedwillie

Great info here guys, thank you. I was certain the BB was going to be a nightmare, turns out it's really straightforward and likely fixable in my case, it's just a little stiff.

Whoa, really called up an old thread....