My early Monster Fat

brentjen

Here are some pics of my Monster. Have had it for lots of years and have always loved it. I got this bike from a guy in Oakland California, I think there was a police auction invlolved. The way it is set up is from just before I stoped riding and was a bike messenger. I rode it everyday in this condition. I hope to be able to reconfigure it to a more masculine look soon. The Monster stickers, that are now gone, were wavy/dripy and there was no other stickers on the bike. The "made in Taiwan" is off of some other bike from the bike shop I worked at (my boss made us peel them off when we built them). I haven't seen too many others like this on the board. Neat to see others keep them going.

Serial number is 12018W (What does it mean?)

Brent in NY

Attachments

• DSC01304.jpg
    DSC01304.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01312.jpg
    DSC01312.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01314.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01315.jpg
    DSC01315.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01311.jpg
    DSC01311.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01310.jpg
    DSC01310.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 44

jbrannsten

Staff member
I believe this actually is a Wicked and not a Monster. This is supported by a few things:

• The serial (12018W) indicates W for Wicked. A Monster should have had a M in it
  • A Monster should have a wishbone rear triangle
  • The fork looks like a Wicked fork and not the Tange Struts that came with the Monster

Some of the early Monsters were re-badged Wickeds. Same goes for some of the early Buckshavers that were re-badged Monsters. Yours must be a 90-91 or earlier as you don't have a threaded BB.

Cheers
Jon

colker

I believe this actually is a Wicked and not a Monster. This is supported by a few things:

• The serial (12018W) indicates W for Wicked. A Monster should have had a M in it
  • A Monster should have a wishbone rear triangle
  • The fork looks like a Wicked fork and not the Tange Struts that came with the Monster

Some of the early Monsters were re-badged Wickeds. Same goes for some of the early Buckshavers that were re-badged Monsters. Yours must be a 90-91 or earlier as you don't have a threaded BB.

Cheers
Jon

the first monsters were rebadged wickeds w/ a less expensive component build..

rick

early Monster

as already stated, the first Monsters were indeed just a Wicked with different decals and outfitted with lesser components (so a W serial number too). Their first foray into a less expensive price point.
that said, you do not see too many. I have a new one and it has the same decals as yours, and there have also been a few others posted here over the years or on e-bay.
Finding/making decals could be a challenge, but still a good bike.

rick

pittsburgh

Here are some pics of my Monster. Have had it for lots of years and have always loved it. I got this bike from a guy in Oakland California, I think there was a police auction invlolved. The way it is set up is from just before I stoped riding and was a bike messenger. I rode it everyday in this condition. I hope to be able to reconfigure it to a more masculine look soon. The Monster stickers, that are now gone, were wavy/dripy and there was no other stickers on the bike. The "made in Taiwan" is off of some other bike from the bike shop I worked at (my boss made us peel them off when we built them). I haven't seen too many others like this on the board. Neat to see others keep them going.

Serial number is 12018W (What does it mean?)

Brent in NY
Chances are you have an 89 Monster on a wicked frame. All black monsters are on a wicked frame. I bought an 89 with the Herman Munster green monster decals myself new from my cousin's bike shop in NJ - Riding Gears - and that's the story he told me. It was set up with mavic rims and suntour components - 18 speed. Still have it too, and have added an 89 wicked and just recently a 90 YO. I don't think you can find a better handling bike then the 89 wicked. The geometry is great and the frame flexes just the right amount to make for a comfortable ride. Be sure you replace the bottom bracket bearings every few years so they don't seize to tight to the frame. I'm having difficulty getting those off the YO, which must have sat for a decade without use.

brentjen

Thanks fro all the great responses

I have another mountain bike that I can afford to break ('92 Klein Rascal) but still want to be able to enjoy this bike. I am a little to heavy to expect the Monster to hold up to real trail use. There is still a chance that Trek would warranty the Klein again. So, I was thinking about setting it up as a Urban Assault/Cruiser. The mustache bars are no longer comfortable for me to get down to. So, I was thinking about beach cruiser bars (the long smooth-bend ones) and really wide simi-slick tyres. I want to be able to ride with my kids to the beach or to town. Now for the questions:

Anyone make a light alloy cruiser bar, where should I look?
Any recomendations on a 7spd thumb shifter (I would even consider grip-shift)?
What all black slicks and how big can I go?

I will probably mailorder the stuff so I wont be able try it first.

I know that there is a lot here, sorry

Brent

Attachments

• DSC01378.jpg
    DSC01378.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01375.jpg
    DSC01375.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 11

rick

early Monster

All black monsters are on a wicked frame

not quite true...I believe that all Monsters (including the later mono-stay versions) were available in black

I am a little to heavy to expect the Monster to hold up to real trail use.

I would not worry too much about this unless you are really big or ride really rough stuff. Fat City was known for making strong frames and based upon my experience I can vouch for that (probably the same story for most of the good steel frame builders).

I still ride my Fats just as hard and have never broken a frame. Unless you have a special or valuable frame, ride it like it was designed to be ridden....

just my opinion...

Butcher

You are correct several Black Monsters came with monostay, including my '91 Monster.

Here is a black with green splatter monostay Monster Fat from 1991, factory paint. The whole bike picture was taken this spring on a trip I did out to Fruita CO.

Monster Fats are cool.

Attachments

• Moster Fat 001 (3).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (3).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Moster Fat 001 (6).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (6).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Devon 05-2009 001.jpg
    Devon 05-2009 001.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 21