Stem choices?

smittylube

I have my wicked not 100% what year but I have a salsa quill stem. I am thinking about trying some riser bars since I like the riding position of my newer bike.
I have seen some of the pics of the pinch type of stem. Is there a good adapter of choice?

Dont worry I will save my original one.

Oh yeah I have the rock shox mag 20 I think and I think it is the 1" steer tube right? the stem size is smaller than 1"

Steve

Last edited:

Butcher

I'm not exactly sure what your asking, but I'll take a stab.

You have an old salsa stem and you want to run riser bars? You can get most riser bars through the clamp area. Take the bolt out of the handle bar clamp area, flip it around to the back and thread it in. Then block the hole with a penny so as you tighten the bolt it spreads the clamp area. Don't over do or you will damage the stem, spread it just enough that you can carefully work a riser bar in there.

IF52

Oh yeah I have the rock shox mag 20 I think and I think it is the 1" steer tube right? the stem size is smaller than 1"

Steve

Yes, the quill on a 1 inch stem is 22.2mm. The outside of the steerer tube in the fork is 25.4mm or 1 inch.

smittylube

What I was thinking is to get a shorter stem and riser bars. I'd keep the original salsa stem & fat chance flat bars, When I look at many of the other pics I can see the pinch type of stem. So I did some searching and it would seem not too many choices of adapters. I suppose they wont have as much leverage as the stem is shorter so it should hold up to offroad abuse still.

Thanks guys,
steve

oh and yes I think you are right with the sizes thanks.

DC

Threadless stem with quill adapter?

I think you are talking about using a quill adapter so you can run a 1 1/8" threadless stem with your current 1" threaded fork setup. There are a ton of debates on whether this setup is a good idea (google "quill adapter"). In my opinion it is a plenty strong system, but tends to be a bit heavy. I am currently using one on my wife's Yo, it sure is nice to be able to easily swap threadless stems when playing around with fit issues. My intention is to get a nice quill stem once we figure out exactly where she wants her bars.
hopefully this is what you were refering to and helps.
I have a Dimension brand adapter, and have seen them from Cinelli, Deda and others.
DC

Attachments

• images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    905 bytes · Views: 76

smittylube

Exactly what I found at my buddies shop. Then we found a nice salsa stem for the retro look, I put on the monkey lite bars that came with my Labruja and I am stoked. It feels great now. Much better riding position..
Now I will ride this thing again and give it the attention it deserves :). I went from 6" stock to about 4" much more neutral. Also a lighter combo.

Steve
stem.gif

DC

Looks great, Steve! Now you just need a high quality cro-mo fork to complete her!!!

smittylube

This bike rides better than ever with this stem. I love it. My squishy bike has the same size stem and now I feel no difference in the steering just a way quicker livelier riding bike now. Just a bit more bouncy than my FS bike.

Steve