Yo In Progress

Lucas J

First off let me say I am a newbie. 15 years ago I new a little bit (well I knew enough to buy this bike) but I moved to the ocean and took up surfing. So this beauty has sat in the garage just waiting to be rebuilt. When I bought her, she had all XT components and a Judy Shock. The first thing I did was upgrade the brakes and derailluers to XTR and since then she has sat in the garage waiting to be finished.

Last week I finally got the SID from Hippie Tech and had it installed with a Chris King Headset. At the moment she is in working order but she still needs allot of work. For starters I need a new crankset and I am trying to find a seatpost and seatpost clamp in blue or purple but I haven't had much luck finding one in a 29.4.

Any suggestions to help finish her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LJ

I will post more pics latter.

photo (7).JPG

Spikes

Great bike, but don't put in a blue or purple post. This paintscheme is too modern for that. Find a nice silver or black one. I'say a nice silver one would look great. Thomson makes great ones. Also, Interloc has currently the quadzilla in black 29,4 for sale. If you live outside the US, Bikeman.com can get them for you.
The stem is also too short and the seat too much shifted backwards. This looks weird. Try to find a nice stem like a Syntace, or better: a Sid blue Control Tech!
Good luck with your great bike!

Lucas J

Great bike, but don't put in a blue or purple post. This paintscheme is too modern for that. Find a nice silver or black one. I'say a nice silver one would look great. Thomson makes great ones. Also, Interloc has currently the quadzilla in black 29,4 for sale. If you live outside the US, Bikeman.com can get them for you.
The stem is also too short and the seat too much shifted backwards. This looks weird. Try to find a nice stem like a Syntace, or better: a Sid blue Control Tech!
Good luck with your great bike!

Thanks for the reply. Your probably right about the seat post color and yes a new stem is on the list. I scraped together some old parts just so I could get riding again. I still have a lot to do but in the mean time at least I can out and ride. Any idea where I can locate a Sid blue Control Tech stem?

LJ

tvcreative

tasty

For what it's worth...

I like it...

Definitely put the saddle forward on the rails...Fats seem to have a long top tube. Shifting your weight forward, will save your knees and allow you to spin more on the flats.

I think a 110 to 120 mm ringle stem would look good too. Blue. or silver. I think you'll need that length to make up for the saddle being that far back.

There is a nice set of BLUE Pauls Canti's on FLEABAY.

ALSO...are your bars angled down? You may want the sweep to go slightly up, it will feel better on your palms. I personally like a riser, but on an old fat a flat bar looks better...

can't wait to see the next shot in progress

Jim

Lucas J

Jim thanks for the kind words. No the bar is not angles down, it just looks like it in the photo.

I hadn't even noticed the seat was that far back and it explains why upper back and shoulders were bothering me after its maiden voyage last weekend.

Thanks for pointing it out guys.

LJ