Yo Fork Question

rthomer

A couple of years ago I purchased a very nice and pristine Yo Eddy fork with a 1" threaded steerer and planned on putting it on my '91 Monster in a future restore.

The other day I ran across Rody's thread that described the different forks and he said suspension corrected BOI forks should be 15.9375" (axle to crown), Yo Eddy Forks are 15.5"' for standard suspension.

In checking my Yo Eddy Fork it too measures 15.9375" which would make this suspension corrected I guess... a rather big surprise to me.

Does this seem right?? I didn't know to ask about the length when I purchased the fork and now have a dilemma.

I don't think it works on the Monster....so I either sell or trade for a standard Yo fork, or find a suspension corrected YO and put it on that.

Question: Is there a particular year where they started producing Yo's with suspension corrected geometry?? I think I read somewhere that it was optional on some years....if so how can you check geometry to confirm?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:

AB

"Question: Is there a particular year where they started producing Yo's with suspension corrected geometry?? "

My guess would be 1993 and up

IF52

Does this seem right?? I didn't know to ask about the length when I purchased the fork and now have a dilemma.

I don't think it works on the Monster....so I either sell or trade for a standard Yo fork, or find a suspension corrected YO and put it on that.

Just ride it. That difference in length is insignificant. Remember suspension back then was like 40mm of travel. On my 92 Monster I run a Mag 21 Long Travel, which I think puts the suspension at 60mm, and it rides great. The A2C free length of that fork is 420mm, so sagged with rider weight it is maybe 412 to 408mm. Before that I used a Kona P2 which has an A2C of 413, and it rode just fine. That is 8mm longer than the Yo fork you have.

If you find any problem riding your Monster with that fork I think you're being way to fussy about it, and over thinking the situation.

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Yep, 93 and up were slightly longer than 90-91-92. There is a good thread on RBUK with photos and lengths of various forks. Are you sure you are measuring right? My 93 is (if I recall) more like 410mm. In any case, I agree that difference won't matter all that much. So ride it!

If it feels off, keep an eye out for another :)

rthomer

Just ride it....

If you find any problem riding your Monster with that fork I think you're being way to fussy about it, and over thinking the situation.

Good advice and probably over thinking......not the first time I've heard that. After reading numerous accounts of fork length and rake variations screwing up a ride, I didn't want to end there. Particularly if I invest money into paint etc. I did ride the Monster for years with a suspension fork around the same length as this fork, and it was fine but always wanted a correct Yo fork on it.

Maybe the best thing is to build it, ride it, if it's fine then consider paint later.

Thanks...