my new frame... some advice

kevin881

I bought this frame (YO ML 2023) recently on ebay... I wanted to build up a Yo to replace my long ago stolen one. This one is a NY build, and my stolen one was from MA, though. My original was Kandy Wild Cherry, too. I dont know the name of this color green.

Anyhow the frame is in good shape, some chips and scratches, but no dings at all.

What I am wondering is if I should have it repainted provided I can find some decals... see I really want to do a total restore, but I cant decide if repainting it would be petty since it would likely look like this after a month here in the city.

What do you guys think?

Also, I am starting to look into components. Obviously starting with a new BB and crankset. I am not totally married to the idea of a true historical rebuild. I wouldnt mind putting modern components on the frame.

The obvious default would be XTR components... looking at raceface, crank brothers though.

I have been totally out of the scene for near a decade... I guess I could use some guidance as to what you would suggest for BB and crankset to start out with.

Pics taken by the ebay seller are attached. I will begin taking them once I start, and will continue to post as progress is made.

thanks

Yo Eddy!

Hi Kevin,

Chameleon fade it is! You can find quite a lot FAT brochures on www.mtb-kataloge.de There is also a Chameleon in the 1996 catalogue - if I remember correctly.

If there are only a few marks and scratches you also pretty easy get some touch up from the car shop or hobby shop. Decals for a repaint can acquired through Doug.

Fun to see the restoration covered the upcoming time :p

- Melvin

kevin881

how difficult would it be to find someone who can repaint it in chameleon fade? pretty hard, id bet?

the frame itself is in great shape... just some chips. maybe ill put my art skills to the test and try to mix some model paint in a similar color to just touch it up where it needs it.

younggeoff

touch up paint

I managed to get touch up paints for my aqua fade yo mixed up at halfords, took a while to find the matching colour swatch but was worth it.

kevin881

younggeoff said:
I managed to get touch up paints for my aqua fade yo mixed up at halfords, took a while to find the matching colour swatch but was worth it.

geoff, could you point me in the right direction to get swatches and perhaps a link to halfords?

lucifer

It's damn nice just as it is. Just ride it. A repaint at this point would be a waste of good riding time. Abuse it all summer and fall and then if it looks a lot worse consider repainting it.
Just my .02

kevin881

lucifer said:
It's damn nice just as it is. Just ride it. A repaint at this point would be a waste of good riding time. Abuse it all summer and fall and then if it looks a lot worse consider repainting it.
Just my .02

yeah, I totally agree with you. I kinda felt like I should make it new... but its in great shape, really.

Okay, so the build-up starts now.

Im stuck between a couple options on BB and cranksets. Looking at raceface, maybe crank brothers... what are your suggestions for these?

bushpig

From what I've heard, the best place to get a Fat Chance repainted is Vicious Cycles. That is where I sent my 10th and where I plan to send more bikes. The work isn't cheap, but all the results I've seen are outstanding. Vicious can also provide decals.

lucifer

kevin881 said:
yeah, I totally agree with you. I kinda felt like I should make it new... but its in great shape, really.

Okay, so the build-up starts now.

Im stuck between a couple options on BB and cranksets. Looking at raceface, maybe crank brothers... what are your suggestions for these?

For the last ten years I have been riding race face turbine LP square taper cranks and various bbs. They look good, are reasonably light and have been trouble free. If I couldn't find those I'd probably look at white industries. I won't buy into any of the new BB nonsense. Square tapers rule!

lucifer

IMHO those stickers on the fork legs are fugly. Pull em off.

Oh and I have a black zooka for you if you need one. ;)

kevin881

lucifer said:
IMHO those stickers on the fork legs are fugly. Pull em off.

Oh and I have a black zooka for you if you need one. ;)

stickers coming off for sure. that color clashes with the frame.

ygpm on the zooka.

Spikes

Keep the paint as it is! It's smashing just as it is. Here are two suggestions for you kit straight from my image library:
yo_eddy_green_black_fade_site.gif

yo_eddy_green_black_fade_white_rubber.jpg

rick

green paint

The Chameleon Metallica color is one of my faves. Don't bother with a repaint, sometimes pre-scratched is a good thing, you don't worry about getting the first scratch.