anybody have experience with a 1 front - 9 rear setup?

I want to use a 9 speed cassette in the rear with a 34T or 36T in the front, will rear shifting throw the chain off the front chainring? do i need to use a front derailleur? or a bash guard?

thanks,
Dino

colker

I want to use a 9 speed cassette in the rear with a 34T or 36T in the front, will rear shifting throw the chain off the front chainring? do i need to use a front derailleur? or a bash guard?

thanks,
Dino

i don't have actual experience but i am 99% sure you want some kind of chain guide. if i were you i would do a 2 x 8. drivetrain longevity will be much better.

rody

Dino,

If you have a very good chainline and do not routinely ride on tough rocky terrain, a 1x9 without any front support/guide is acceptable.

However, if your chainlines sucks or you get into really bumpy (think chain slap terrain) stuff, a chain guide or old front derailleur is nice to have to keep the chain in place.

Some have run the old plastic chain keepers, others put cash into a designated guide like a Rohloff...try it out and see what you need.

cheers,

rody

1-9 Setup coming together, untested

Since weight is a major concern this is what I found to keep chain online. N Gear Cyclocross chain deflector on JensenUSA. I will test this out on the inside and a grinded smooth Outer Ring as guide/bashguard on outside.

current drivetrain
XTR M900 Cranks with grinded smooth 44T Outer and a 36T Middle
Dura Ace Ti 9spd 12-21 rear
N GEAR JUMP START CHAIN DEFLECTOR
XO SRAM Derailuer
XO SRAM Twisty 9 spd Shifter

Will let you know when the weather turns if this will hold up over the logs and in the rocks.

HH Cheer,
Dino

1-9 Setup coming together, untested

Problem: The chain push guide, N GEAR Jump Start does not fit at 1 1/4
Because of the old front derailluer wheel bolt. Happens to be right where the thing wraps around. Thinking of making something to work with that wheel hole and use it as an attachment point. Or probably use half of a front derailluer.
http://www.mediascapegoat.com/FatChanceBikes/yoeddy_full011708.jpg
:confused:
yoeddy_detail011708.jpg

Last edited:

Zook

I remember David Millar tried to use 1 Big Ring on front without a derailler or chain guide and his chain fell off during the Tour de France Prologue. Blowing his chance for the brief stint in Yellow.

lucifer

I tried a 1x7 on mine and it dropped the chain pretty frequently under average mountain biking conditions. You'd need a bashguard and a jump stop to make it 100% reliable.

Bssc

A front der does not weigh/cost much, as a professional I suggest you install one to keep the chain on.