F in Yo Eddy! serial number 003F07

brettp

Does anyone know what the F in the 003F07 serial number means? From my brief research it sounds like the early 1990 Yo's had a Z before switching to Y later in the year, but I haven't come across any info about an F in the serial number.

In 1991 or 1992 my dad bought this Yo Eddy used from a Pearl Izumi rep who claimed it was one of the magazine test bikes. Originally it had the yellow to blue fade paint scheme. While in high school in the late 90's I bought the bike from my dad, had it stripped and powder coated blue. It has the original Campy cranks, headset, and seat tube. I still have the original Campy brakes, but have been using the much more effective Shimano V brakes.

Attachments

• Yo Eddy SN.JPG
    Yo Eddy SN.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 96
  • Yo Eddy.JPG
    Yo Eddy.JPG
    452.7 KB · Views: 93

ameybrook

I think you could be right about this being a really, really early Yo. The last four digits are consistent with the early Yos indicating the size (07=17"). The only other Fats I've seen with F in the serial were the Fat Chance models. I owned 006Z07 which was the lowest Yo serial number I ever saw. It had the grello/blue fade like yours, which I think was the only color option in 1990.

Very cool.

It had the grello/blue fade like yours, which I think was the only color option in 1990.

Very cool.

I owned 016Z07 & currently have 023Z07. Both were originally Wild Kandy Cherry. Both were purchased new on the West Coast (San Francisco area). Both had White Industries BB when I got them (could be coincidental). 016 had a WTB fixed angle post when I got it.

ameybrook

I guess I meant the "stock color" according to the catalog was fluoro yellow with blue fade. But I'm guessing it could have been ordered in any color if you asked.

I-ROBOT

Wow! This one's got me stumped. I have no clue why we used an F in the SN. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it meant "Factory" and was going to a race team member.
Nice bike though
Enjoy
Scott

brettp

Thanks for your responses everyone. I was hoping you would chime in Scott, I didn't think it would stump you though! Could the F designate a prototype build before full production?

Does anyone know how common it was to put Campy components on the Yo Eddys? I did some research and it looks like the cranks might be from the Euclid group, I've never seen another one though.

chefmiguel

Looks like Euclid cranks with Shimano caps. Not sure how often it was used but to add to irobots theory, Campy did sponsor the Fat team...hmmm

RobTu

Nice bike. Too bad about the original color. Could the "F" stand for "feature" as it was a feature bike in some mags? Any idea what mags?

F for factory, like Scott said, probably makes more sense.

brettp

Nice bike. Too bad about the original color. Could the "F" stand for "feature" as it was a feature bike in some mags? Any idea what mags?

F for factory, like Scott said, probably makes more sense.

When I had it powder coated I had absolutely no idea that 15 years later the original color would be desirable.

We were told this Yo was tested for Mountain Bike Action, but have now way of proving that. Surprisingly enough I have found some links to the old magazine articles and because of the unique chain stays there are pictures of the BB and SN.

In this one (on page 2) the BB is pretty clear. When I zoom in it looks like it is a Z SN, so that's out. The rest of the bike doesn't have the right components either.

This Mountain Bike Action article looks interesting. It has the Campy cranks and brakes like mine. Mine has a silver Campy seat post, and the one in the magazine is black. It doesn't list the shifters, mine used to have the Suntour thumb shifters (I sure did that was cool back then!) and I think I still have them laying around somewhere. Again, there is a picture of the BB, but I can't make out the SN. Does anyone have access to the original magazine or a way to enhance the picture? It's a long shot, but there is a possibility it's my Yo.

Zamfir

Very cool bike, super early Yo with original fork and Campy, dream bike material.

Shame about the v-brakes, and various other "upgrades", though those could always be returned back to original, not so with the paint. Though it is a nice color!

Gift

Sorry, I know this isn't the best thread to put my question, but let me put it again: could we ask Fat City to powder coat a frame in 1990's?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I don't know about post-Somerville, but I had my '91 Yo Eddy powdercoated a different color when it went in for a repair in '92.

RobTu

Sorry, I know this isn't the best thread to put my question, but let me put it again: could we ask Fat City to powder coat a frame in 1990's?

A couple of the frames I've had over the years went back in the 90's for paint and/or powder coat. Including a Team Comp that went back for paint, and came back labeled a Wicked Lite.