• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Chris Cross 53cm Frame/Fork

wickedwillie

**BIG PRICE DROP** Chris Cross 53cm Frame/Fork

*****SOLD************************

So here is the rarest (apparently) of all production Fats, but before you get too excited, read on......

I bought this off local (Vermont USA) craigslist in hopes of trading it for something really special here at FatCogs (it's too small for me). The seller said he owned it from new (late 1990's) and it was a present from his ex-girlfriend, had ridden it for many miles in various locations around the country and it had traveled with him a lot.

Upon seeing it, it had obviously been used and moved around a lot, lots of scratches and marks, a little chainsuck, a little surface corrosion. It's a CX bike so I wasn't expecting it to be pristine. He repeatedly said 'There is nothing wrong with it'-this should have been my first clue that he was full of sh!t. I paid slightly less than his asking price and took it home. I was less excited than I expected to be about it, and I wondered why. All would soon be revealed!

Upon removal of the FD, I found the seat tube to be slightly pinched/crimped/dented! AAAAAUUUUUUghhhhhhhh the horror! Further investigation revealed a stuck seatpost, and, as a final, devastating blow, the beautiful segmented fork is BENT. It isn't a huge amount, and having nothing to compare it to when I first looked at it I just could not tell. I hate myself A LOT for this.

The seller, of course, is not responsive to my calls or emails. I don't even have a real name at this point, so I've given up and have decided to just sell it and take my losses.

So lets talk bad stuff first:

I took the frame and fork to Gene of Belgin cycles in Hinesburg, Vermont. I met Gene at the 30th gathering and new he had a Chris Cross I could compare with mine (I still was holding out hope that the fork was not bent). We put the fork in a jig and determined it is bent back about 1cm. There is a small crack in the paint near the inner top of the right leg. It appears to be bent at the crown, both legs look similar and the dropouts are still nearly aligned.

The seat tube has the aforementioned dent from the FD clamp. It's relatively minor, no cracked tubing, but it's there and it sucks. There is also a tiny chainsuck ding I tried to show in the pics. The paint is Burnt Copper (I guess...not inclined to believe much from the seller at this point) and has scratches and marks as you can see. All tubes on these frames are sealed (except the seat tube) so internal rusting will not be an issue. The seat tube looks decent internally, I see no evidence of pitting and I think its in good shape.

The good stuff:

It's a Chris Cross! The serial number is CX53023, probably from 1998 or so, but I can't be 100%. Rare, only a handful ever seen on these forums. Rear canti stop, gusseted downtube, CNC dropouts. NY made. Gene checked the frame over, it is not bent front to back or tweaked left to right. The dropouts are aligned. BB threads are good, shell is good. The 26.8 post from my Ritchey fits as it should.

Top Tube length is about 55 cm.

Rear dropout spacing is 130mm. BB shell is 68.

Price was $600, now asking $425 and free shipping in the USA if paying with a USPS money order. Paypal will be $425 also, no free shipping.

Shipping will be $35 or so in the USA and probably around $80 internationally-I haven't checked the rates in a long time, you will pay actual cost no matter your location. I can mark the customs form however you like. I know how to pack frames-no further damage will happen in shipping.

If you have any questions or need pictures of something specific feel free to send a PM. More pics here: http://s23.photobucket.com/user/wallydriver/library/CHRISCROSS

Last edited:

RobTu

Did Gene tell you if the fork is repairable, and how much it might cost?

Are you interested in any trades? I know when I've gone sour on a bike purchase, sometimes it's good just to move it out.

I'm interested, but need to know more about the prospects of keeping that fork, and making it rideable again. Thanks

wickedwillie

Did Gene tell you if the fork is repairable, and how much it might cost?

Are you interested in any trades? I know when I've gone sour on a bike purchase, sometimes it's good just to move it out.

I'm interested, but need to know more about the prospects of keeping that fork, and making it rideable again. Thanks

As a seller, I would advise you not to straighten and ride it. Straighten, install, take pics? Sure. I did ask Gene something like 'these can't be fixed or ridden, right?' He didn't answer directly, but essentially said Chris Chance would say no, absolutely not, do not ride them or attempt a fix.

At any rate, the fork appears more bent at the crown, less likely bent in the legs themselves as the curvature was similar to Gene's based on eyeballing them, nothing more). It's very hard to tell if it is at the base of the steerer or lower where the legs join the crown. I can't see any pinching or deformation of the steel anywhere.

At this time, I'm not interested in trades, this experience and several others in recent months have put me off....not feeling much like doing anything aside from riding what I already have.

fat-tony

Staff member
I don't get the non-dome dropouts. I thought the dome dropouts were a standard for Fats?

wickedwillie

Price drop. I tried to change the title, but it only changes in the thread, unfortunately.

$425 and free shipping in the USA if paying with a USPS money order. Paypal will be $425 also, no free shipping.