frozen seat post

BostonBobby

My friend has a 92 yo eddy with very nice moby seat post which is stuck in the frame.
We have tried just about everything. He did not want to cut the pole because it is a nice seat post but it looks like this is his next option.
Anybody know any tricks of getting the post out without damaging the post or frame?
Thanks alot.

ameybrook

Been discussed countless times on the internet. Start with Sheldon Brown. There are other threads on retrobike.co.uk and MTBR VRC as well. Likely you're going to ruin your seatpost to save the frame.

theredchili

Just been through this with a 1990 Marin Eldridge, spent weeks trying to get the correded post out.In the end the only way was to cut the post up.
Thats the problem with two dissimilar metals, tried heating the frame, but nothing worked.When I finally got the post out , it hardly looked corroded at all !
It also took three hours of careful work not to damage the frame.

good luck and let us know how you got on

chainline

depending on how much post is in the frame. this has worked wonders for me. if you remve the seat binder up the post and spray PB blaster at the top of the seat tube where the post slides in and out. and rock the seat fore and aft. that should get you somewhere PB blaster is magic stuff and most likely the post is only frozen in the top 2in of the frame good luck.

BostonBobby

thanks guys! My friend was impatient and cut the post- it is now being chipped out little by little. I wish the guy I purchased my last yo eddy from had done the same thing instead of putting the frame in a vice and denting the frame yet saving the measly post! Im in the process of stripping my Yos down now and Im going to clean the frames of any rusty residue inside and out. I almost have my maroon one down to bare frame now. Hopefully the seat pole on my silver one hasnt gotten frozen again since last year or so?

thanks guys! My friend was impatient and cut the post- it is now being chipped out little by little.
I don't know if patience would have done him any good. I had the same problem with my '98 Yo Eddy and a Thompson post when i got it. I spent days on the Sheldon Brown site and tried every trick I could find including heat, cold, drano and muscle. Nothing could penitrate between the frame and post and I really did not want to damage the frame. In the end the post broke and I ended up sawing the remaining 200mm with a hack-saw lengthwise. Home depot had one which holds the entire hack-saw blade from one end and bought some extra long blades. I'd say the actual sawing took 2 hours of very patient sawing. Be sure to put more torque on the far side of the post to minimize the chances of cutting into your seat tube at the top. I ended up with no damage and just replaced the Thompson Post with a Brand new one. Here is a pic. If you look closely you can see the lengthwise cut in the piece held by the vice grips. As soon as it was cut through it slid right out.
ThompsonSeatPosts.jpg