Custom Painted Chris Chance

IF52

Psych!

In about 94 or 95, before the move to NY in any case, Chris and Wendyll and crew came to ATL for something or other and came to the shop to hang out and give a lecture. I think Casey Kunselman was with them too, the single year he rode for the team. Anyway, I asked Chris if I could paint him and he said yeah, why not. I was trying to kiss his ass because I wanted to move up to Somerville and work for them, but that all fell through when they moved to Glen Falls. So here is my custom painted Chris Chance.

And yes, his forehead, or five head rather, is that big.

Attachments

• ChanceSm.jpg
    ChanceSm.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

fat-tony

Staff member
IF52:
Very Nice. Is it watercolor? Did you major in art or have you always just painted?

IF52

Thank you.

Yes it is watercolor on very heavy cold press paper with acrylic gel medium and tracing paper. It is an interesting technique I learned from an instructor named Rea Mingeva while I was finishing my BFA at the Savannah College of Art and Design. The gel medium actually resists the paint and causes it to pool and flow much differently than a straight paper surface. I could take a wet cloth and wipe most of the painting away if I wanted to.

And yeah, I have drawn and painted my whole life. Oddly enough, getting a formal degree helped improve technique, but killed my interest in being part of the art community. I haven't picked up a brush or pencil in 15 years.