What sus fork for a '96 Buck Shaver

ST

I've been toying with the idea of changing the rigid fork on my Buck Shaver for a bouncy job. The bike has a 1 inch steerer and I want something that works and will fit with the bike.

Will

Your only options amongst current production forks are Pace or Marzocchi MX Comps. Marzocchi will also custom fit a 1" steerer to the Marathon Race/SL if you want a higher end fork.

The only problem with all this is the forks are all longer with more travel than your Buck was originally designed for and will slacken the head angle a bit.

Will

ST

I am looking for something "period" but useable to make the Buck a bit more user friendly. Would never stick a Maz on there to be honest (despite them being great forks) it just wouldn't be right.

scant

well ST, it can be done. retro looking forks that actually work well!
See if you can hunt down a 1in 96 judy Sl?xc crown & steerer. then pick up some 01 judy sl (coil/oil that actually work well!)
now cut (i didnt say it wasnt drastic!) the crown off the 01 SLs & simply bolt the 96 crown on. I've done this with no probs.

If you hunt around you should be able to pick up both forks fairly cheap :)

magura also make 1in quality forks.

As a final note, get the forks colour coded to the frame. 90% of FATs look factory spec with matching forks I reckon ;D

ST

Thanks Scant, sounds like a feasible plan, just need to track the parts down! I do like the look of a Fat with Judy's for sure, failing that I'd probably look at something like ben's idea and go for period Pace.

MadMcDowell

Sus forks

Mazz's may well not be in keeping, but a year ago I swapped the Mag 21's on my Bontrager Race Lite for some MX Comp ETA's - result, I sold my Klein Adept as I no longer rode it - oddly, I thought the bike handled BETTER with the longer fork (sorry, Keith!) and lock out for climbs...I planned to replace them with Marathon SL's...but they're sooo good I haven't bothered...and if the fork's weight's an issue?? Go on a diet...