Ridged Tire Pressures

settemarche

it has been a long time since i rode a full ridged bike. for those that ride ridged bikes what tire pressures are you running? i recently rode my ridged Buckshaver and my hands were in a little pain later that day. i suspect that the tires were a litte too aired up.

thanks as always,

Sette

sancho

My Fat has a rigid fork and Ritchey slicks most of the time, which I keep at a fairly high psi--at least 60-70. When I go off road (with knobbies) I'm paranoid about getting pinch flats, so I usually run at least 45-50 psi.

You might be able to alleviate some of the hand fatigue with a softer grip and/or wider tires. I think it's hard to top Oury grips for comfort (and style) and you may be able to run tires as wide as 2.35. I've never run tires that wide, but I'm sure some of the other posters here can give you an idea of how wide you can go, if you want to give that a shot.

-s

bruce t

The bigger tires you run, the lower the pressure you can get away with. I've run a Ritchey 2.5 front on my Wicked at 35-40 lbs, I figure that tire acts like my suspension. With smaller tires, you have to run higher pressures to avoid pinch flats. I usually wear padded gloves, too.

Cheers, bt

Kirk Pacenti

Yup!

The bigger tires you run, the lower the pressure you can get away with. I've run a Ritchey 2.5 front on my Wicked at 35-40 lbs, I figure that tire acts like my suspension. With smaller tires, you have to run higher pressures to avoid pinch flats. I usually wear padded gloves, too.

Cheers, bt

I am with Bruce...

I run a 2.35 Zmax up front at 35psi and a 2.1 Zmax in the rear at 38psi.... Both tires look and feel much wider to me. They offer plenty of shock absorption; who needs suspension!?

bruce t

oops...

Hey Kirk,

I just went out and actually looked at the sidewall, and I'm running the same tire you are, a 2.35 Ritchey Z-Max, at 35 PSI. A lot of cushion for the trail, slow on the road, though! And an original Smoke 2.1, in back (at 40-45PSI, chicken ;~), but its sidewalls are looking a bit threadbare and weather damaged.

I've since bought another set of wheels, with White Industry hubs, Mavic 217s, and some new Conti 2.1 tires. Then it turned winter!

Cheers, bt

colker

I am with Bruce...

I run a 2.35 Zmax up front at 35psi and a 2.1 Zmax in the rear at 38psi.... Both tires look and feel much wider to me. They offer plenty of shock absorption; who needs suspension!?

would a 2.35 zmax fit a wicked fork?

colker

Cheers, bt

2.5 in on a wicked fork? cool! that's what i need.. i was a bit skeptic anything wider than 2.2 would go through..

settemarche

Gents,

the buckshaver has some 2.125 Ritchey Z Max MegaBites. i dropped the pressure and had the nicest ride in a long time. i think with the addition of a newer, softer set of grips we will be set. the accuracy of the steering just blew me away. i never realized how numb a front fork makes the steering. i think i am going to post some pics of the upcoming ride. stay tuned.

Ciao,

Sette