The Earlier The Better

MikeyNYC

Properly adjusted, I've never felt a brake better than the WTBs.

For everyday use I always preferred the Shimanos to the Suntours (especially the early Suntours with threaded pads). XTs were a fantastic u-brake IMO.

What's wrong with using the WTB Roller Cam brakes everyday?

MikeyNYC

I hear ya, I've had mine for well over 20 years, was lucky enough to have been talked into buying them back then.

IMG01650-20110831-1635.jpg

During Suntour's roller cam production they had at least two different cam profiles - one was less-than-acceptable. I run a non-threaded-shoe version on the front of my GT Trials bike. I also have one of the original tools for setting-up the Suntour XC Roller Cam - I'll have to dig it out for a photo.

WTB's, when set-up to properly take advantage of the cam profile, are sweet. There were also two WTB cams available, based on the spacing of the frame mounts - normal and wide.

Sorry if I'm dumping in the wrong thread - maybe we should start a Roller cam thread?

Tom P.

I-ROBOT

Hi Bill
Your bike has cantilever brake mounts and roller cam brakes cannot be fit to those.
regards
Scott

billkillohill

Scott, are you saying that the earliest bikes had roller cam brakes? That's not the way I remember it but that was a long time ago. Did you work for Fat at the time? I'm trying to contact Chris or someone who was there at the beginning to fill in the story that I'm missing.

This bike was given in trade to Greg Bowl, the photographer who shot the first catalog. He said it was the show bike from NY. I've owned it since then.

Mysteries...

Bill

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
No, he is saying that the bike you posted a pic of has canti brake mounts (at least on the fork). Your post hopped into a discussion about rollercams, which I imagine led to the comment about RCs.

I'd love to see more shots of your bike though, as I imagine others would.

Chris is fairly present on the web with the Fat reboot. Try contacting him through their site? http://www.fatchancebicycles.com

billkillohill

I got somebody - maybe Chris - through their Facebook page. The web site gave me a 404 when I went to the contact link.

It seems that this may be frame #7 from 1984. He said the numbering scheme was to start with the year (two digits) then the frame. I can just make out an 847 stamped into the BB. See pic attached.

That and according to the builders' thread, it's a brazed frame, I think the story is getting clearer.

Attachments

• fat4.JPG
    fat4.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 28

Stiner

Monster Fat

I have owned my monster fat since the early 90s and I have loved riding this bike. I have only changed the bars and stem the rest is original. I need to let it go but I'm not sure what it is worth. I have looked on the first flight web page and it seems to be a medium 1991 monster fat sn062MIM black with green decals. The only damage on the bike is some small scratches in the paint where the brake leaver scratched the frame other than that its just normal wear. Any help would be great.
You can email me at ronstiner1967@gmail if your interested and I will send pictures.

Last edited: