High end v-brake face off

lucifer

Has anyone used both pauls motolites and avid ultimates and compared the two?

I have used the ultimates on a few bikes here is my take.
Pros
Looks awesome
Relatively light
Very Low Maintenance

Cons
Maybe too stiff (howly on certain rims)
Could be lighter
Heavy complicated and expensive levers.

I have never used the pauls but was thinking about trying them.
Does anyone know which set up is lighter, better.

Also kicking around the idea of m970 xtr...

Tia for your feedback...

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I have 950-series XTR (brakes and levers) and like them a lot, but haven't tried the other two.

jesse

Has anyone used both pauls motolites and avid ultimates and compared the two?

i've used avid ultimates and paul's canti on my cross/fixie. paul's gets the nod from me for maintenance, but i don't know if the motolite and his canti are all that similar.

i LOVE the arch supreme, but the stops for the springs are made of plastic. i broke one of them and had to replace it with a nut and bolt. keep meaning to have some aluminum fabricator make me some replacements. my bearings are shot but the brakes are still silky smooth. very powerful and easy to modulate. the only reason i'm finally getting on the disc brake bandwagon is that i hate trashing wheels by wearing the rim too thin with my brake pads.

Karl

I've run Paul's brakes and levers on my Yo for years, light, beautiful, SOLID, absolutely wonderful !
Run them on my tandem too !

VANEPS71

although not mentioned here I used to run Precision Billett v brakes and levers on my old bontrager and they were the best ve brake and lever combination I ever used ( I have had lots inclusing pauls, avids, shimano......... Wish I still had them, they were nice.