Not a Yo Betty

Butcher

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bonsaii

I noticed this too, the wishbone construction also backs it..

Guess the seller did'nt know, as it was advertised as "custom built". Mabye we'll see out on the bay again soon.

-bons

DC

:confused: In the '96 Catalog the Yo Betty! looks exactly like a Buckshaver(mono stay etc). And to quote from the spec page: "...this frame is available in three versions...The least expensive is...modelled after our Buckshaver, but with smaller diameter tubes. The Titanium...while the full suspension..."
I think the bike we have here is "custom" because it is a Small Buckshaver they knew was for a woman so slapped on Betty decals. It would be very interesting to take a tape measure and calipers to it to see if it any different("custom").
I just wanted to clarify that the Yo Betty is an XS Buck and not and XS Yo!.
In the '95 catalog they feature an XS Buckshaver (renamed in '96) the only geometry difference is the stand over height was 26.5" in '95 and 26.0 in'96.
-DC

DC

Ok, to reply to myself...I see it is a '99 and on the FatFans.de link shows multiple sizes of Betty's with special geometry for '98. The photo there does look to have Yo!-like seatstays. I'd say with all the crap going on with the company those years...it's anybody's guess.
Whatever it is someone is the proud new owner of a nice FAT!(BettyShaver???:rolleyes: )
-DC

bonsaii

I just wanted to clarify that the Yo Betty is an XS Buck and not and XS Yo!.

My Yo Betty! has the same geometry as the Yo Eddy!, and sn YB 14 044, however it has a smaller top tube.

The pictures below shows the 96' catalouge Betty! vs. mine. I guess there were more choices after 96', as the Betty! in the ebay auction is a 1999 Yo Betty! Buck Shaver type, whilst mine is a 98' Betty! with Betty serial number.

Attachments

• yobetty.JPG
    yobetty.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 15
  • betty_catalog.jpg
    betty_catalog.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 15

DC

I'm not sure why I'm obsessing on this one...but...doesn't the build (if original) look more mid '90s? Also it has the older cable routing(not v-brakey). Looks to be 1 1/8 headtube though...I peg it for a '96.
Hopefully the new owner finds Fat Cogs so we can get some answers!

kokies

Here is my wifes XS. Bought it new back in 01/02. not sure of the serial # or year. I will have to look at it later.

Attachments

• sides.jpg
    sides.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20

Butcher

The few Yo Betty's that I've seen a SN for start with YB indicating a Yo Betty and the seat stays were like a Yo and not the monostay design like the BuckShaver. Given that the bike has a buck shaver serial number unless the seller knows that the bike came from Fat City wiith those decals you would have to assume it's been re-stickered.

It would be interesting to know if the factory was selling rebadged Buck Shavers as Yo Bettys for reference. Kind of like the early monsters being rebadged wickeds. Although it's kinda cheesy if they did. How many of us dudes with real Yo Eddys would like it if we bought a Yo from Fat City in the day and the factory sent you a Monster or a Buck Shaver with Yo decals on it?

bonsaii

Given that the bike has a buck shaver serial number unless the seller knows that the bike came from Fat City wiith those decals you would have to assume it's been re-stickered.

quote]

It could be re-stickered, but not likely.

In the 95' catalouge the XS Buck Shaver is presented. In the 96' catalouge it's clear that the XS Buck Shaver is of the specks and the Yo Betty! (YB) is presented- with the Buck Shaver (BS) wishbone type backstays. See picture earlier in this thread. It is however stated that "it is modelled after our Buck Shaver, but with smaller diameter tubes."

I support DC's suspicion of error in the ebay advertising when the seller states it as a 1999. I checked the receipt of my YB and it was purchased 12.02.1999, hence it is a late 1998. From this we could suspect that the first YB's really was XS BS made in 95 but sold as YB's in 96. I have'nt seen that many YB's, but owned two- both 1998 and newer, with the Eddy geometry.

If it's cheesy or not; I think the initiative to make a small mtb back in 95 is way more important than to compare serial numbers 14 years later. FCC did'nt think of their frames as potential collectors items in the future, they just made good frames.

I think stuff like this makes it even more interesting to collect the FCC frames. Mysteriouso.. :cool:

-bons

Butcher

Good points for sure and certainly interesting.

I second the thought that it would be cool if the buyer of that bike found this site so we could gleen some insights.

bonsaii

Okay, first of all I'm a nerd.. :)

Yesterday evening I started digging in some old bicycle papers from about 8-10 years ago, and found an internet print-out from some mtb website.

Quote:

Some bike builders think women's bikes should be shorter and thats it.

Well, Fat City's always known that women's proportions shift the taller they get, and they've offered several frame sizes over the years in different models to address these needs.

New for 1998, they're offering a complete size range of their Yo Betty! and offer it to women 4'8" to 5'7". Available in four sizes the 10" is specifically designed for gals 4'8" to 5'2"; the 12" fits gals 5'2" to 5'4"; our 14" fits women 5'4" to 5'6" and the 16" is designed for women 5'6" to 5'7". Some of you may be leggier than others , so they've made test ride bikes available, in order to help you select the ideal size. Your dream bike can be ordered either in Chrome-moly or Titanium. The choice is yours and the pleasure is theirs"

End quote.

If the BS-Betty on ebay really was purchased in 1999 it has to be an over-rider, mabye at a bicycle shop (not the factory). The seller says that it is custom built for 5'7" (even 5'6"), but in the internet report this size is the largest standard frame.

When did the last Fat Chance, any kind, leave the production site before the factory was abandoned? 2002? 2003?

-bons

Butcher

Okay, first of all I'm a nerd.. :)

Thanks! I for one appreciate your nerdness as I like to know the real deal too.

Things did get a bit odd post 97 when the headquarters for FCC was moved to Vermont. I wish they had retained the SN format established in 1990-1994 so we could tell what year these later model Fats were made.

In a way though the oddities are what make being a Fat Chance collector fun.