Help with '86 Fat Chance ID

harrion

Hey folks, just got my first Fat Chance today from a guy looking to sell a bike from a friend, and who knew absolutely nothing about it. As for me me , I was totally clueless about Fat Chance, until I did some web research before buying it. Not being one to turn down a really cool and legendary old-school MTB for $20, I grabbed it. I know it's an '86 from the serial #, but I can't find one just like it on the web. It's got the Shimano Deerhead derailleurs, Shimano cranks, the Magura brake levers, Suntour shifters, Biopace chainrings and the under-chainstay mounted rear brakes. Front hub is shimano, can't read the rear, 6-speed rear cogs. What do you think? Any info appreciated. The bike is very rideable (except the seatpost is sticking like a bear), and I'm anxious to fix it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 78

mainlyfats

Great deal on a great bike. Is it your size or are you going to flip it?

Value-wise, I'd say $450-$600. The paint is a feature - that's not normal.

harrion

Great deal on a great bike. Is it your size or are you going to flip it?

Value-wise, I'd say $450-$600. The paint is a feature - that's not normal.

Thanks for the reply. The size, I think will work for me. It's on the edge. I have to feel it out a little more. Does it have a model name? Is it a 'Kicker', by chance. When you say 'the paint is a feature' what exactly do you mean, that it's a custom job?

mainlyfats

Thanks for the reply. The size, I think will work for me. It's on the edge. I have to feel it out a little more. Does it have a model name? Is it a 'Kicker', by chance. When you say 'the paint is a feature' what exactly do you mean, that it's a custom job?

Yeah, it's a Kicker.

The paint would have been requested. I've never seen one like it, but it looks right.

I-ROBOT

Here's my assessment

I believe it is an '88 Fat Chance and not an '86. I started at the end of 1986 and all of those bikes had seatstay-mounted brakes. The rear brake appears to be a roller-cam and not a Shimano U-brake. When the chainstay-mounted brakes came out (1987, I think) we primarily installed them on the Fat Chance models and the Wickeds got seatstay cantilever mounts.

I believe Shimano came out with those silly "Biopace" chain rings in 1987 also

As for the paint, it appears to be a knock-off of the 10th Anniversary model paint scheme but with solid black decals instead of the black outline type used on the 10ths. I would like to see a photo of the bottom of the bottom bracket. If the frame has a plastic rivet-on cable guide then it is definitely not an '86 model.

When we came out with the Wicked in 1987, we dropped the "kicker" name from the regular Fat Chance.

It is hard to tell exactly from the photo, but the frame appears to have the 69 degree head angle and 2" rake fork which would be on the Fat.

Post a close-up of the serial number if you can. I am betting that there is an 8 on the end and not a 6. Still, an extraordinary find for $20 - lucky bastard

Let us know
Thanks
Scott

harrion

Here's my assessment

I believe it is an '88 Fat Chance and not an '86. I started at the end of 1986 and all of those bikes had seatstay-mounted brakes. The rear brake appears to be a roller-cam and not a Shimano U-brake. When the chainstay-mounted brakes came out (1987, I think) we primarily installed them on the Fat Chance models and the Wickeds got seatstay cantilever mounts.

I believe Shimano came out with those silly "Biopace" chain rings in 1987 also

As for the paint, it appears to be a knock-off of the 10th Anniversary model paint scheme but with solid black decals instead of the black outline type used on the 10ths. I would like to see a photo of the bottom of the bottom bracket. If the frame has a plastic rivet-on cable guide then it is definitely not an '86 model.

When we came out with the Wicked in 1987, we dropped the "kicker" name from the regular Fat Chance.

It is hard to tell exactly from the photo, but the frame appears to have the 69 degree head angle and 2" rake fork which would be on the Fat.

Post a close-up of the serial number if you can. I am betting that there is an 8 on the end and not a 6. Still, an extraordinary find for $20 - lucky bastard

Let us know
Thanks
Scott

Thanks Scott for weighing in. You'll have to trust me on the serial number. It is 86375, You probably couldn't make it out in a picture anyway. It's very hard to see whether the second number is a 6 or 8, but I can definitely see here that it's a 6. And the chain guide at bottom is metal and part of the bracket. Definitely not plastic.

'It is hard to tell exactly from the photo, but the frame appears to have the 69 degree head angle and 2" rake fork which would be on the Fat.'
What do you mean here, on the 'Fat." Which model are you referring to. The rear brake is a Suntour XC power, a roller cam type I believe. Lucky? You don't know the half of it. It's a funny little story. So let me know further thoughts. Thanks for the help, Rchard

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Those parts are much more '86 than '88, and the rings woudl be something pretty common to replace (as opposed to the brakes and mechs).

Nice pick up! I like the color scheme too, but it of course preceded the 10th scheme by a number of years.

rick

85 Fat

it looks like the rear derailleur cable is run on top of the bottom bracket, is that correct?
Scott, correct me if I am wrong, but that would be more 86 than 88, yes?
Neat looking bike, certainly a great deal at the price

Last edited:

I-ROBOT

Since you say that there are metal cable guides on the BB, then indeed it would be an '86.
Since I came along late in '86, they obviously built some chainstay-mounted brakes before I got there. Must be that old smoky shop thing again:cool:
I stand corrected.
I do think the paint is not stock, though.
Still, neat find!! Have fun
Scott

harrion

Thanks again, folks, for all the input. So, I'm comfortable with the description of this bike as an'86 Fat Chance, plain and simple. Any more thoughts on the paint job? Stock, custom, or user mod? Seems like nobody has seen one like it, so that aspect is pretty intriguing. I don't see any evidence that it's not a factory job, but maybe there is something I could look for that would indicate that.

mainlyfats

Thanks again, folks, for all the input. So, I'm comfortable with the description of this bike as an'86 Fat Chance, plain and simple. Any more thoughts on the paint job? Stock, custom, or user mod? Seems like nobody has seen one like it, so that aspect is pretty intriguing. I don't see any evidence that it's not a factory job, but maybe there is something I could look for that would indicate that.

I think we'd all say the same thing: better pictures might work and a painter's decal, mark or signature would seal the deal.

I know it's a little thing, but I called it legit - factory - because of the tubing decal. Something a restorer might take in to consideration, but not something I'd expect from a repaint-because-it's-looking-a-little-tired.

harrion

A little new info

Hey folks, finally got aroumd to dealing with my seatpost stuck in the seat tube issue. Got my vise mounted on a heavy piece of furniture, squirted some PB blaster as far down as I could, and twisted and pulled for about three hours and damn, got that sukka out. And, without really damaging the seatpost. Any way, been working on the bike, tuning, cleaning, etc. and getting ready to possibly flip. Re the rare paint job, just came across some interesting info re the 86 Fat Chance. Check out this link; http://yoeddy.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-rides-fat-chance.html. Look at the second of the spec sheets, and look at the paint job options. There is a two color custom option. It seems most reasonable to me that, this is what I have a two color custom paint job. BTW, comparing the component spec sheet, my bike is all origininal except for the tires. I have checked out the seat yet. It's laying somewhere beat to crap from my initial attempts to twist the tube out. Any more feedback welcome. Now what do you think the bike may be worth, assuming I'm right about the paint job.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
As it sits, the earlier estimate is a good starting point. It doesn't look to be particularly well cared for (the seatpost is another testament to that, as is the general condition of the components and frame). If you were to give it a deep and thorough cleaning/restoration/refresh and make some key parts changes (saddle/tires) I could see it pulling a bit more. Then again, that's the kind of stuff a lot of people like to do themselves. That is to say, right now it is a bit of a 'project' bike (that's not a bad thing! and it doesn't need much more than elbow grease).

Either way, not bad for what you have into it.

harrion

As it sits, the earlier estimate is a good starting point. It doesn't look to be particularly well cared for (the seatpost is another testament to that, as is the general condition of the components and frame). If you were to give it a deep and thorough cleaning/restoration/refresh and make some key parts changes (saddle/tires) I could see it pulling a bit more. Then again, that's the kind of stuff a lot of people like to do themselves. That is to say, right now it is a bit of a 'project' bike (that's not a bad thing! and it doesn't need much more than elbow grease).

Either way, not bad for what you have into it.

Thanks for the response, Nate. So, yes, at first I wanted to keep the original stuff like the ratty tires and grips, just because they were original. . But I decided I'd be better off replacing them, so I changed out the tires, and grips and seat. Also, the front rim was different than the back. I couldn't ID it, it had a Deore hub. It also was way out of true. As luck would have it, I had a Shimano RM-20 rim in great condition, also with a Deore hub that I replaced the front wheel with. So here's some new picks. What do you think, better?

Attachments

• IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 23

harrion

Rim ID help needed

Can anyone help me ID this rim that came on my 86 Fat Chance. It has no identifying marks except there is a number on the inside edge that looks like 8809. Also, as you might be able to see from one of the picks, it looks like there was a label on it which has long since peeled off, leaving what looks like some glue residue. The hub is Deore. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 14

stoebben

Specialized GX26

Hey--Good call. It looks like a GX26. I believe the rims were introduced as a 1987 model year product released in mid to late '86. I have them as original on an 86 Ibis that was built up in the Fall of that year and remember they were brand new on the market. The GX23s didn't come out until the late 80s/early 90s.