Need help! Shipping costs of a bike from the US to Germany?

YoKris

Hey guys,

I need your help/input. What is the cheapest way for shipping a bike (of course a FAT!;)) from the U.S. (CA) to Germany?
Using one big box, or using two boxes? What are your experiences about the actual costs?

Thanks a lot
//Chris

Butcher

I don't know what's cheaper - but I'd probably want the bike, and I'm assuming it's the whole bike and not just a frame set, taken to a bike shop and boxed up like a new bike is sent in, with all the bubble wrap and packing materials. From there it would look like DHL or UPS International. If it's just a frame and fork that would be a different story.

Good luck, I assume you found your self a new ride?

kokies

shipping

USPS is the cheapest just over $100, but limits the box size, which means you will need a separate box for the wheels. UPS and fedex usually run 2-3 times that amount. Let me know if you need more help. I am shipping a frame to the UK this week (not a fat).

jbrannsten

Staff member
I have used the services of JetCarrier, a Norwegian firm that operates out of the US. They provide me a postal address in the US which I use when some one in the US is not willing to ship overseas. JetCarrier then ship my items in bulk shipments by air or sea (your choice). Shipments by sea is quite cheap compared to air. Don't know if JetCarries provides the service to Germany but I guess there must be a similar firm in Germany/US that can provide the same service.

BTW: I was in San Francisco last week and shipped two frames in a box from SF to Massachusets. The shipment itself was not very expensive, about $22. However, there was an extra fee of $98 because of the size. So in total i paid $120 for the shipment.

YoKris

I don't know what's cheaper - but I'd probably want the bike, and I'm assuming it's the whole bike and not just a frame set, taken to a bike shop and boxed up like a new bike is sent in, with all the bubble wrap and packing materials. From there it would look like DHL or UPS International. If it's just a frame and fork that would be a different story.

Good luck, I assume you found your self a new ride?

Thanks Butcher!

You're right, I was talking about a whole bike. But finally the seller wasn't convinced to do international shipping. :(

cheers
//yo

YoKris

USPS is the cheapest just over $100, but limits the box size, which means you will need a separate box for the wheels. UPS and fedex usually run 2-3 times that amount. Let me know if you need more help. I am shipping a frame to the UK this week (not a fat).

Hey Kokies!

Cool. That's a valuable info! Same is in europe - shipping a bike in two boxes is way cheaper.

thanks
//yo

YoKris

I have used the services of JetCarrier, a Norwegian firm that operates out of the US. They provide me a postal address in the US which I use when some one in the US is not willing to ship overseas. JetCarrier then ship my items in bulk shipments by air or sea (your choice). Shipments by sea is quite cheap compared to air. Don't know if JetCarries provides the service to Germany but I guess there must be a similar firm in Germany/US that can provide the same service.

BTW: I was in San Francisco last week and shipped two frames in a box from SF to Massachusets. The shipment itself was not very expensive, about $22. However, there was an extra fee of $98 because of the size. So in total i paid $120 for the shipment.

Hey Jon!
Thanks for this info. The services of JetCarrier sound interesting - there must be a comparable company in germany. How much do usually have to pay, when using JetCarrier for shipping a bike to norway?

I guess you'll have to pay customs duty, when Chris is shipping the frames to your adress in norway, right?!

cheers
//yo

M8

I don't know if it still works like this: When I was stationed in Germany, with the military, we shipped everything at domestic rates to and from the U.S. Do you have any friends in the U.S. military that could accept delivery?

YoKris

I don't know if it still works like this: When I was stationed in Germany, with the military, we shipped everything at domestic rates to and from the U.S. Do you have any friends in the U.S. military that could accept delivery?

No...unfortunatey! But that could be a great opportunity! ;)

I lived a half year in Heidelberg...guess you were stationed there right? Or maybe Rammstein?!

cheers
//yo

jbrannsten

Staff member
Hey Jon!
Thanks for this info. The services of JetCarrier sound interesting - there must be a comparable company in germany. How much do usually have to pay, when using JetCarrier for shipping a bike to norway?

I guess you'll have to pay customs duty, when Chris is shipping the frames to your adress in norway, right?!

cheers
//yo

If you give me the measurements of the box and the weight I can calculate the shipping cost from US to Norway and Norway to Germany. VAT has to be paid (see description below) but there are ways to avoid it as well so let's worry about that later. As long as it is in Norway for transit I believe it is possible to avoid the fees.

When Chris send the frames to me I have to pay customs duty for his work. I decleared the frames leaving the country so I will not pay duty on the frames themselves.

Basically there are lots of fees to be paid to the Norwegian Government. All items with a value above NOK 200,- which is equal to EUR 25 will get 25% VAT added and a customs handling fee of EUR 20. If the item is a gift the same rules apply but the value of the shipment is increased to NOK 1000,-, EUR 125,- So now you all know why people from abroad ask sellers to reduce the value on the customs decleration form:)

YoKris

Hey Jon!

Thanks again for your help. If it gets serious again, I know where to find you! ;)

Concerning the taxes. Seems to be pretty equal to the german fees, but we don't have a custom handling fee! :D Usually we've to pay round about 23% taxes calculated of price & shipping cost.

cheers,
Chris

If you give me the measurements of the box and the weight I can calculate the shipping cost from US to Norway and Norway to Germany. VAT has to be paid (see description below) but there are ways to avoid it as well so let's worry about that later. As long as it is in Norway for transit I believe it is possible to avoid the fees.

When Chris send the frames to me I have to pay customs duty for his work. I decleared the frames leaving the country so I will not pay duty on the frames themselves.

Basically there are lots of fees to be paid to the Norwegian Government. All items with a value above NOK 200,- which is equal to EUR 25 will get 25% VAT added and a customs handling fee of EUR 20. If the item is a gift the same rules apply but the value of the shipment is increased to NOK 1000,-, EUR 125,- So now you all know why people from abroad ask sellers to reduce the value on the customs decleration form:)

northerndave

My recent experience of US to UK shipping went a bit like this..,

Shipped a Steel Serotta frame for USD $70 via USPS. The total dimensions of the box are really important with this method but a frame box is with the limits. UK customs and import duty added about 30% to the package value. It took about 1 week in transit and 3 weeks in customs.