Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

Marc996

its funnny how yo eddy and me seem to have the same kind of yo eddy from the same year/color and the serials are so different.

i wonder what kind of system they were using with the serials at fat city.

Doug Carter

Staff member
From what I have been reading in our database that is being developed, for the years you are talking about (between 1990 and 1994) , it is pretty simple:

First series of numbers, either 3 or 4 digits, this is the frame number, in the order of production

Next character is the frame type, i.e. "Y" is Yo Eddy, "A" is 10th Anniversary, etc.

The following character is the last number of the year in the 90s, meaning a "2" would be 1992 and a "0" would be 1990.

The last characters are the sizes, like "M" for medium or "ML". Some bikes that used measurements also use the last digit in the measurement, like an 18" Wicked would have an "8" instead of a letter.

This all changes after the move in 1995, though, where the frame type gets put first, then size, then the frame production number. Pre-1989, though, seems to be proving to be a bit tougher to decipher, as the pattern jumps around a bit more.

d

PTOWN Bikes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-syWG5gWvGsQ/TaDHB-Uu3WI/AAAAAAAACMw/K2JCx0Q5lQI/s1600/DSC00126.JPGFrame type (Yo!, edward):
Frame number: 48y4sm
Year of manufacture:1994
Frame size: SM sommerville bike
Color (Aquamarine fade repaint by fat city to cosmic fade
Location (middleboro MA) Bought when I worked in a bike shop on Cape Cod
Owner name: David Cassady

Allsop Stem
Big one inch fork (looking for a good 1" shock fork - BTW I had at one tile tried a AMP front frork but it hit the frame gusset when installed
XTR Vbrakes and Levers ( still have the Blue Paul's brakes and levers I took off)
Hugi hubs mavic rims (I built them in 95 still true)
Synco Seat post and a Brooks Leather saddle
Xtr Front der
Mavic Rear Der most of the time (sometimes it has a period XTR)
Mavic Head set
Mavic BB and frame was cut at fat for the BB
Mavic MTB crank with Purple rock ring (this was the last one on the shelf at Mavic in PA)
old SPD pedals
Bonty bar and shorty control tec bar ends (purple
photo to follow

David

PS I have a Mongoose Amp B3 as my other ride wish I had bought a Shock a billy

Last edited:

rick

a few more for Doug..

Frame type; Ti Fat
Serial Number: TF ML 1178
Year: 2000
Size: M/L
Color: Ti w/red decals
Owner: Rick

Frame Type: Fat Chance
Serial Number: 87517
Year: 1987
Size: 21"
Color: Black w/yellow
Owner: Rick

Frame Type: Wicked Fat Chance
Serial Number: ?
Year: 1988
Size: 21"
Color: Red w/white fade

rick

serial number

Marc996 said:
Frame type: Fat Chance Yo Eddy !
Frame number: 688Y3ML
Year of manufacture: 1995
Frame size: ML
Color: Aquafade
Owner name: Marc

Marc,

based upon your serial number, I would wager that your YO is a 93, any chance of that?
Is it a Mass or NY frame?

Doug Carter

Staff member
Re: serial number

rick said:
Marc996 said:
Frame type: Fat Chance Yo Eddy !
Frame number: 688Y3ML
Year of manufacture: 1995
Frame size: ML
Color: Aquafade
Owner name: Marc

Marc,

based upon your serial number, I would wager that your YO is a 93, any chance of that?
Is it a Mass or NY frame?

Excellent catch, Rick. A 1995 Yo would start with the letters YO instead of numbers. That bike is definitely a '93 Meduim/Large, #688.

So Rick, do you open up closets in the house and remember that there were other bikes still to be listed? :lol:

Marc996

Doug said:
From what I have been reading in our database that is being developed, for the years you are talking about (between 1990 and 1994) , it is pretty simple:

First series of numbers, either 3 or 4 digits, this is the frame number, in the order of production

Next character is the frame type, i.e. "Y" is Yo Eddy, "A" is 10th Anniversary, etc.

The following character is the last number of the year in the 90s, meaning a "2" would be 1992 and a "0" would be 1990.

The last characters are the sizes, like "M" for medium or "ML". Some bikes that used measurements also use the last digit in the measurement, like an 18" Wicked would have an "8" instead of a letter.

This all changes after the move in 1995, though, where the frame type gets put first, then size, then the frame production number. Pre-1989, though, seems to be proving to be a bit tougher to decipher, as the pattern jumps around a bit more.

d

doug,

so is it possible that my yo is a 93 ?

(serial 688Y3ML)

cause i thought all the aquafades were from 95

it is a MA built bike. did they sell aquafades back in 93?

Doug Carter

Staff member
I saw aquafades in '93 and '94 and there is even one in the '94 catalog for the Yo. I would definitely say your bike is a '93, and definitely from Massachusetts. The serial numbers from 1990 to 1994 are very consistent.

rick

suspension corrected geometry

The 93 catalog mentions that the Ti Fat has suspension geometry, but does not say anything about the YO or other frames. I would guess that the YO was changed at the same time, but that is just a guess.
I don't know when the head tube size was changed to 1 1/8". It is noted in the 97 catalog, but may have happened prior to that.

rick

Re: serial number

[So Rick, do you open up closets in the house and remember that there were other bikes still to be listed? :lol:[/quote]

not actually in closets...only a couple more remaining...

Ti-Fat Man

frame type: Ti-Fat
serial number: TF SM 001
size: s/m 15.5"
year: 1995
colour: brushed Ti with blue decals
keepers name: Alan

Doug Carter

Staff member
106 bikes in the registry so far. I will try to have an online readable version of the registry shortly. So far, it is pretty cool...

:D

d

I accidentaly place this in the wrong topic. But here is my info...

Frame type : 1992 Yo Eddy with team fork
Frame number: 738y2s
Year of manufacture: 1992
Frame size: small
Color :eek:riginal color was black, repainted pink to purple fade by AirArt who painted Mountain Goats in Chico Cal.
Location Fremont, California, USA
Owner name: Jerry Snyder, Original owner

Sweeeeeet bike for my sweeetie.

Jerry Snyder

PS: still looking for a YO Eddy S/M size frame and team fork.....

bike2(82).jpg

yeti col

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy
Frame number: 044y2m
Year of manufacture: 1993 (I think!)
Frame size: Medium
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): original wild cherry - but resprayed metallic blue.
Location (city, state, country): Glossop, Derbyshire
Owner name: Col.

Photo

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=307533

other info - is that the seatpost has been replaced to repair the rust damage that was caused by the neglect of the previous owner so it now has a 27.7 seatpost. Everything else is as new.

Ganimed

Frame type: YO EDDY
Frame number: 022Y2M
Year of manufacture: 1992
Frame size: M
Color: grello/blue (original)
Location (city, state, country): Cologne, Germany.
Owner name: Oliver R.

4297DSC000251-med.JPG

4297DSC00010gjz1-med.JPG