Problem with my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance

fatchance

Thanks for the help guys, I will check the middle crank ring. My crank is in used but really good condition so I hope its not worn out.

fatchance

I just got the bike back from the LBS and it seams to be working well. I raised the seat post up to 8 inches and I just bought the stem that Colker put the link for. Thanks again guys, hopefully it ride beautifully after I put the stem on.

colker

I just got the bike back from the LBS and it seams to be working well. I raised the seat post up to 8 inches and I just bought the stem that Colker put the link for. Thanks again guys, hopefully it ride beautifully after I put the stem on.

Make sure the saddle is at the right position for your legs. Raise or lower to place it at the sweet spot. That's the beginning of any bike fit process. HOpe it works out allright.:)

fatchance

Thanks Colker! With the seat post at 8 inches I can still get on the bike easily and my legs are straighter than before. Do you have any recommendations for a proper fit?

colker

Well.. extend your leg along/ paralell to the seat tube. Your heel should brush the pedal.. here are some more precise techniques but this one works ok.
Place your saddle so the heel brushes the pedal when cranks follow the seat tube.

fatchance

Thank you, I will try that. I bought that stem you put the link for, since it doesn't have holes for the front brake cable to go through, do you think it would be fine to drill a hole for the cables to go through?

colker

Thank you, I will try that. I bought that stem you put the link for, since it doesn't have holes for the front brake cable to go through, do you think it would be fine to drill a hole for the cables to go through?

don't! just get a brake cable stop in between your headset.

afterbang

Out of curiosity, what size is your Wicked? I ask because I have the opposite problem that you're having.

I'm your same height and my 18" Wicked with a 125mm salsa stem feels too big for me. I tried to win a 115mm Salsa roller stem that was on eBay, but forgot to bid before it ended. I sometimes think about getting a 16.5" so I could feel comfortable ripping around on it. I'm stuck between keeping the bike with original parts and wanting it to be functional and it seems like I'd have an easier time finding a frame than the stem I want.

fatchance

My frame is 18inch just like yours. I just bought a 130mm stem that should hopefully make the ride comfortable. If it doesn't make it any more comfortable for longer rides I might have to sell it and buy a 19.5 inch frame bike. Hopefully you can find what your looking for to make your ride more comfortable too.

colker

Out of curiosity, what size is your Wicked? I ask because I have the opposite problem that you're having.

I'm your same height and my 18" Wicked with a 125mm salsa stem feels too big for me. I tried to win a 115mm Salsa roller stem that was on eBay, but forgot to bid before it ended. I sometimes think about getting a 16.5" so I could feel comfortable ripping around on it. I'm stuck between keeping the bike with original parts and wanting it to be functional and it seems like I'd have an easier time finding a frame than the stem I want.

get a cheap 120mm stem there. If it works, get the high end stuff..

I'm really surprised the bike shop couldn't get this all resolved for you. But, again....the only decent shop I knew of there was gear junkies down on south street back in the 90's. That's where I got my fat from. Good luck with your adjustment. Let's hope it all works out for you.

fatchance

Thank you, hopefully I can get it resolved otherwise I will have to sell it and buy a 19 inch frame bike so it fits me.

fatchance

Even though I am at a standstill waiting for the longer stem to see if it will make it a better fitting bike, here are some pictures that I took a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 21

colker

Beautifull bike. You could ride a bigger frame but.. i suggest first you level that saddle. You already have a 135 stem .. but it needs more rise.
The drop down saddle is generating most of your fit problems. Level it. Then raise it to where it needs to be. take more pics and i will tell you if you want a bigger frame.
I love your frame btw. beautifull color.. and no, i am not coveting your bike. heheh