1986? fat chance

smak77

Hello Everybody.
Looking for some help. Had this bike for 18 years or so now I guess. Traded it with a buddy way back because it was too big for him. Rode it on and off but only for some commuting and the occasional ride with my kids. I knew it was a fat chance and hand made but really didn't know much about it till lately. I think it is a 1986(not sure) but there is a SERIOUS amount of paint on the bottom. Hard to tell the numbers.
My friend was going to paint it. Decals are gone. Some scratches, no dents or cracks.
Looking to maybe sell it but it is hard to price without knowing more about it the bike(like confirming the year). I will provide more pictures if needed. Just want a reasonable price for it. Please give me input about anything on it if you know about the bike. The only things I know are original are the frame, fork and (I think crank, derailleur, wheels and tires).
I think the sn is 00198 (if that makes any sense) Maybe G0198 or Q0198. None of the numbers are clear though

thanks for any info.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Zamfir

Sweet bike you have there, and this is certainly the place to find more info. Of course serial number would be the greatest help but i'm guessing with the cs mounted brake 86 seems about right.

Value is a bit tricker. Looks like it was built with fairly low end parts which probably work okay but don't have the wow factor of the higher end parts. Stem looks interesting though, and having the matching fork is a big plus.

I guess I would say the bike as is would sell for around $400-$500. I could be wrong though.

smak77

Thanks.
Trying to think back and I remember there was some swapping of parts by my friend but I can't recall what. I think maybe the derailleur crank and shifters might have been changed. I can't see anywhere that gives those parts as a build spec. My memory is fading after that long unfortunately. Did they put cheaper parts when selling in Canada? I heard there was a Fat city cycles in North Vancouver
Steve

Last edited:

smak77

Which way is "up" for the s/n? Is the middle the bottom or top?
sorry but it could be 86100.

I just saw the list on mombat about s/n. that makes more sense.

Last edited:
My guess is that it's an '87. All of the other '86 bikes I've seen still have the cables running above the bottom bracket; I beleive they switched to the plastic guide riveted to the bottom of the BB for the '87 bikes but it could have been mid '86 too. Anyone?

Also '87 seems to be the single year that most of the bikes had chainstay mounted U brake which this bike has.

Last edited:

smak77

stem

Not sure off the top of my head. I am away from town for a bit but I will try to check when I get home.

RobTu

My guess is that it's an '87. All of the other '86 bikes I've seen still have the cables running above the bottom bracket; I beleive they switched to the plastic guide riveted to the bottom of the BB for the '87 bikes but it could have been mid '86 too. Anyone?

Also '87 seems to be the single year that most of the bikes had chainstay mounted U brake which this bike has.

Chainstay mounted U brakes can be found on 1988 Wickeds, and the serial# still didn't have the W. Wouldn't be surprised if it was an 88100 SN.

Clean it up, pick up a set of decals, in yellow, and keep/ride it :cool: