45 yrs old just got a yo

MDM

So a while back I sold my beloved Trek 970. A neighbor was going to take it to the dump as the seat post had rusted in. I fixed it up and rode it for years.
I bought a fancy full susp which was beautiful and precise and comfortable but just didn't have the feel of my old 970 steel. I sold it and started looking for a replacement 970 or 990 and started seeing these Fat Chance bikes here and there.
I found a Yo eddy Med close to home for a good price and bit the bullet. Its in nice shape, better than expected with a mix of xt xtr syncros etc. I am guessing its a 95 or 96 from the serial which starts with yo M 290. If anyone could guess the year that would be great.
I want to replace the bars because they are hipster fixie narrow .
Also has a manatou answer 5 on it in nice cond.
Any tips or suggestions appreciated and sorry for the long post.

I am guessing its a 95 or 96 from the serial which starts with yo M 290. If anyone could guess the year that would be great.

Hard to tell for sure but based upon the "0" or the "9" you might have a '99 or 2000 which were the last 2 years of production. '95 & '96 would still have 1" headset. I believe they went to 1.1/8" in '97. Also they routed the rear brake cable down the non-drive side starting around '97 to better accommodate v-brakes. Any pictures?

Congrats on the find!

Jon

MDM

Spent time yesterday at a shop talking about fit and what I would need to do to make it work. Rather than bastardizing it I'm going to trade or sell for a better fit. Not sure to post here or CL or bay.