10TH Anniversary Fat Chance

yo gordo

Hi guys! Check out my album and tell me what you think of my new find? It just arrived from Germany but I'm not :( 100% happy with the condition. I found several paint chips and touch ups the seller forgot to mention. He said it was in "perfect state" ahh.. I don't think so.. Now what does that mean? I assumed it would be mint. Especially after viewing his pictures on Ebay. I would give it a 7.5 out of 10. What do you think? Everything is original Campagnolo Record Or except the avid brake levers.
Your comments and crits would be greatly appreciated. But it does ride amazing! Rides like a road bike and very responsive. I'd give the ride a 10+:).

Attachments

• 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 001.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 001.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 005.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 005.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 002.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 002.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 015.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 015.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 011.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 011.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 008.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 008.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 017.jpg
    10TH ANNIVERSARY FAT CHANCE 017.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 54

afterbang

I drooled over this on ebay as well and yes, the buyer was less than straight forward about the condition of the paint job, in my opinion. for the price that this fetched, i would be a bit ticked off as well.

besides that, i would just live with it and keep in mind that you have one of the nicest 10th anniversary fats out there. i would eventually just hunt down the matching campy levers and be stoked on your new bike. i noticed that this was listed for sale and buyer's remorse popped into my mind... if you don't need the money, don't sell it.

congratulations on picking this up and try to remember that bike is in superb shape for being over 20 years old! :)

yo gordo

Thanks!

I drooled over this on ebay as well and yes, the buyer was less than straight forward about the condition of the paint job, in my opinion. for the price that this fetched, i would be a bit ticked off as well.

besides that, i would just live with it and keep in mind that you have one of the nicest 10th anniversary fats out there. i would eventually just hunt down the matching campy levers and be stoked on your new bike. i noticed that this was listed for sale and buyer's remorse popped into my mind... if you don't need the money, don't sell it.

congratulations on picking this up and try to remember that bike is in superb shape for being over 20 years old! :)
Yah ! That's probably why he wont return my emails. You saw it when it first popped up on ebay? I was very dissapointed at first but I'm over it and decided I'm going to keep it after all or get buried with it. Lol! Thank you very much for the nice comments. I'm really going to enjoy it. Definetly on the hunt for some new levers. Considering going with some purple paul's just to change it up and add my personal touch. What I really want is a purple ringle in a 29.4":)

Alex

jpicard616

I don't know about the purple anodized stuff on this bike. I'm usually into blinged out rides, but the skewers alone look a bit over the top, and the thought of more kind of makes me cringe. The black parts look really classic, and that's how i'd keep it if it were mine... that's just my two cents on the issue though. It's certainly a gorgeous bike none the less.

Personally I love it just how it is! I would hammer the seller for not honestly disclosing the condition but on the flip-side you've got yourself a bike that you can ride & enjoy without the worry of it's first scratch! A buddy of mine has a 10-year that's never been ridden. He paid top-dollar for it & I doubt it will ever get ridden which is a shame. Personally I would rather own a rider than a museum piece. J

tvcreative

it looks fantastic

I think it looks fantastic

I would ditch the tires and put something with larger profile and a gum/skin side

I agree dump the levers when possible - for campy, but until then RIDE ON!

it's perfect in my old eyes

Retro Dude

Looks beautiful!

I'd stick with silver or black for the skewers & seatpost, anything else draws the eye away from the paint on the frame/fork.

yo gordo

Thanks Dudes!

Hey Guys,Thanks for all the cool comments on my 10th. I agree the purple miche italian skewers dont blend well with the bike. I'm really digging the anodized stuff right now I guess but I agree with "retro dude". I think the black will look better and not take away from the frame. I've been trying to contact the seller but no reply. Sometimes you don't always get what you pay for. Oh well, he does'nt own this beautiful thing anymore.:) And now I'm happy to share it with you fat owners out there.

What I need are some new levers and I'm on my way to being all original. I do have the original campy ones but one of the clamps broke.:( I ride all my bikes no matter how minty they are or not. Will be ditching the tires soon "tv creative". These just look too skinny and whimpy but they do ride well on paved roads.

It's just like Hobo Jack said from American Pickers: "Nooo It's not for sale"

lewisfoto

Its funny (not the Ha Ha kind though) but the Fat I bought recently also had undisclosed conditional issues. I was going to complain but in the end I did not. There were actually several issues with the transaction like the fact that it took over three weeks for the bike to find its way from Chico to Southern California. But I really liked the bike so I just decided to live with it.

Steven

afterbang

I paid for "professional" packaging from a bike shop to ship my pretty much brand new 89 Wicked and the bike showed up with a big deep dent in the downtube. I hadn't seen or ridden a Fat since my dad sold his Yo and I was beyond excited to get it. I seriously wanted to barf when I unwrapped the bike...

Luckily over a month later, FedEx cut me a check for 1200 dollars which was 300 more than I originally paid for it. I honestly don't know if that was even worth it though. I hopefully will be getting a replacement frame in the next week, I have replica decals ready, and it's going straight to the powder coater to redo it in black and spray the fork Celeste to match the frame decals!

yo gordo

That's a bummer

I paid for "professional" packaging from a bike shop to ship my pretty much brand new 89 Wicked and the bike showed up with a big deep dent in the downtube. I hadn't seen or ridden a Fat since my dad sold his Yo and I was beyond excited to get it. I seriously wanted to barf when I unwrapped the bike...

Luckily over a month later, FedEx cut me a check for 1200 dollars which was 300 more than I originally paid for it. I honestly don't know if that was even worth it though. I hopefully will be getting a replacement frame in the next week, I have replica decals ready, and it's going straight to the powder coater to redo it in black and spray the fork Celeste to match the frame decals!

I know how you feel. Luckily mine was'nt as bad as yours considering it came all the way from Germany. They did an excellent job on the packing. It practically arrived in a wooden coffin. Lol! Only a few minor paint chips but i was stiil bummed because 3 of them are right dead center of the top tube of my 10th. It's not worth it when your anticipating to see your new toy and unwrapp it only to find out its damaged. Really sucks...:eek:

That's cool. Hope you find a nice replacement soon and good luck with your build.:)
Wait, is this '89 wicked the one you recently bought in California? If so,
That was a really nice one that was all original.

afterbang

Yes, it was that bike from California. Today another 89 Wicked frameset was sent from Seattle to me today. The previous owner bought it brand new, had all the paperwork, and it was an all around great buying experience.

No dents or dings and it's going in for powdercoating as soon as it shows up. Oh, and to anyone who needs parts for an older build, the seller has a bunch of Suntour XC Pro parts and I'll have an extra Wicked fork but I don't know if it's worth selling or not.

yo gordo

Yah I thought so. Cool man! I'm glad you found a replacement with no issues.:)
Enjoy your build. I just bought a sick 1992 Monster Fat that I'm really stoked about. I'll be posting some pics soon. Do you have any pics of your new wicked? Would like to check it out when It's done.