New to fat chances

mainlyfats

The catalogue from 1987.

Early bikes were sized pretty much as road bikes - hardly any stand-over and a short top tube made up for by extra wide motorcycle handlebars. By the late 80's this was largely a thing of the past, but I was sized for my first two mountain bikes with less than 5 inches of seatpost showing.

Longer posts that didn't break and long stems were the first real sizing innovations. The top tubes got longer in relation to seat tubes and broke the road bike sizing mould.

You'd fit on a 1987 19.5 Fat. There'll be a fist full of seat post showing and, hopefully, a fairly short stem. It's not great for offroad: you'll nail your nuts the first time you try and dismount if things get too hairy going downhill.

I'd wait for an 18. There are lots.

fatchance

Yes its a 1991 Wicked Fat Chance, I will post pictures when I get it. Sorry I didn't let you guys know sooner. I need to build it up from a painted frame and rigid fork. Mostly all of the parts came with it, now I need find the rest so it can be built.

fatchance

Thanks for the link. I heard that shimano stopped making the hg70 cassette. That would probably make finding a hg70 chain hard.

yo gordo

Thanks for the info. I saw the monster fat on ebay and it is out of my price range and not really what I am looking for, but thank you for telling me about it. I will continue my search on craigslist and on ebay.
Btw, It sold for $750 with no reserve. Keep searching, dont give up and don't let price range discourage you. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it 'll fall right on your lap. Good luck with your find!

fatchance

Thanks for information. I actually just bought a 1991 Wicked Fat Chance and I need to build it up with the parts it came with but I think I ordered the wrong bottom bracket tool. Would the bottom bracket on most fat chances be the tapered type?