BB Press v Threaded

Skynet

Hi, New here from Retrobike.

I'm possibly looking at buying a Yo Eddy to build up for my brother, it's on the shortlist of frames he likes. Just wondered if it's a pain to find spindles for the press fit bottom brackets, wouldn't want to wait months for one to turn up, or would life be that much easier just to go for a threaded bb frame (normally is)? Also was there a standard width the press fit bb came in?

Thanks

colker

You can always get bearings and spindles from Phil Wood. Threaded is always easier.. but don't be afraid of press fit bb frames.

mainlyfats

You can always get bearings and spindles from Phil Wood. Threaded is always easier.. but don't be afraid of press fit bb frames.

This.

Plus, if he gets a press BB Yo, there's a good chance it might have other stuff he won't like: no suspension correction, 1 inch steerer...

Then again, he'll have a pre-Serotta, Mass. built bike. Not better, but IMO more collectible.

Skynet

Thanks for that. The only slight problem with Phil Wood stuff is that, being in the UK, it takes a couple of months to get anything through dealers unless it's a common part. Can order directly I guess, will pay import duty/tax either way.

My brother has said he'd like it to be rigid, they do look better that way. Having said that I'm not sure he's ridden a rigid in years and I remember being so glad to put a suspension fork on my first mountain bike back in the day. His short list is Yo Eddy, Whiskeytown Racer, Kona Hot, Klein Rascal, so waiting to see what pops up.