which is the superior suspension fork?

jpicard616

I've been using a Marzocchi Atom 80 fork on my Yo for the past few years, and I love it. There's not much info on that model around the web, and like most other old Marzocchi forks, it is almost impossible to get a rebuild kit for; which is a problem because mine isn't rebounding like it used to. I thought about getting it Hippie Teched, but their services are pretty expensive. On the other hand, I do have a Rock Shox Judy XC that I just rebuilt and is working perfectly. Is the Marzocchi worth saving, or should I switch over to the Rock Shox?

Has anyone on this forum ridden on both of these forks, and if so, could you give me a comparison?

IF52

In my opinion the Marz is a much better riding and more modern fork. The only issue with that fork though, beyond finding parts at this point, is the crowns are know to crack. I've had 3 Marz forks of that era, two Z2 Atom Bombs and a Superfly and the crown on 1 of the Atoms cracked.

If you look hard you can still find bushings and seals, but I doubt you'll find a replacement damper anywhere and I don't recall the dampers are serviceable. Simply changing out the oil might do the trick though.

Another option is to find a 28mm leg SID and put together a SID frankenfork. You basically carefully cut the SID crown off and use the Judy bolt on crown. I've done 2 of these. They are far superior to a Judy, though parts are also starting to dry up for them as well, even though they were current up until 2008.